Backyard Brahmas!!

Photo alert, lol. I let my big kids out of their run while I worked outside this morning. They did really well and came every time I called for them. Of course, they're no fools.. They knew I had the good treats. ;)

I think this was my favorite:

Of course, Big Boy spent lots of time trying to woo my layers. :gig

Oh yeah! Love this one too :love

Last edited:
I was watching my chicks today, like I do everyday.
love.gif
. I noticed that 2 of the roosters were starting to practice their crows! No sound came out, but they keep going through the motions:lol:. They are only 11 weeks old, isn't that a little early?
Well, they´re all different. I have a cockerel I bought in about 2 months ago. He´s big, about 7/8 months old I´d say and I heard him crow for the first time two mornings ago! It´s a beautiful, mahogany crow. But he´s taken his time. He also now has a red comb, though not very fleshy yet, and he´s just started to square up to the matrons of the flock, so hopefully soon he´ll start breeding. A late starter!
lol.png

Would like to have some of the more experienced breeders (big medicine?) tell me what they would call this hen color wise. I bought her from a breeder in Texas who called her a "splash". I bought two blue partridge and two gold partridge from her as well. She is wide bodied with a nice head. Her back is a bit rough as I just took the roosters off her two weeks ago.

Would like to have some of the more experienced breeders (big medicine?) tell me what they would call this hen color wise. I bought her from a breeder in Texas who called her a "splash". I bought two blue partridge and two gold partridge from her as well. She is wide bodied with a nice head. Her back is a bit rough as I just took the roosters off her two weeks ago.

Ooh, she is pretty. I don't know if there is an official name for her color since I am not a breeder. But I would like to call her Buff with Blue penciling.

Yeah I would go with blue penciling on a buff base as well.

I don't see any indication of splash, or her neck lacing and penciling would be more washed out like the neck and tail of this splash buff Columbian hen.

One thing that catches my eye, is the way her primary wing feathers lay, especially evident in that overhead shot. Her right wing looks to be worse, but the left is not good either. I believe I would be hesitant to breed her for fear of promoting that fault in your flock. Sorry.

Does anyone know anything about dark chicks? I had 4 hatch while I was out of town, 1 is a dark bantam, the rest are LF. I'll post pictures tomorrow (they are only 6 days old) but my question is about their chick coloring. The bantam and one of the LF are dark in their coloring, very much like my partridges when they hatch. The other two LF are almost silver looking, with a very faint pattern similar to the partridges. Does anyone know if this means anything as an indication of their final coloring or maybe sex?

Back
Top Bottom