Backyard chicken legalization in plano tx

Hi, Thelma! Have you joined the Facebook page "Legalize Backyard Chickens in Plano, Texas"? I started it about a year ago and we currently have about 53 members. Please join if you haven't and tell your friends who would like to support our cause.

This past saturday morning a group of us enthusiasts met with Plano City Councilwoman Lissa Smith. She just wanted to hear about chickens, how they are cared for, what are the concerns with disease, noise, etc. After chatting for an hour or so she suggested we move forward with our plan. Currently, we're working on education, getting the word out about the positive aspects of keeping chickens and trying to bust some if not all of the preconceived ideas people have about chickens. I am drawing up a flyer to be passed out at Wells Brothers feed Store tomorrow during a talk on raising chickens. I'm also going to post this flyer in Starbucks' all around Plano and anywhere else I think may have a message board.

That's what's going on right now. Please join our Facebook page for info about how you can help if you'd like.

Thanks so much for your interest!

Jay Gardner

Hello! Have you joined "Legalize Backyard Chickens in Plano, Texas" on Facebook? We have almost 60 members and recently met with a city council woman to discuss the issue. We're getting organized and trying to work toward a goal.

Please help us out!

Jay Gardner

Hi from Kentucky
frow.gif
!

Good Luck!

Hello Folks!

I am another frustrated Plano resident who wonders often why residents can have hogs, but not chickens!?!? My understanding is that McKinney and Allen are allowed to have backyard cluckers, but here in the very "cosmopolitan" city limits of Plano it is a "no-no." I am not a "Facebook" follower of anything...just not my thing, but I would like to be added to the growing number of people who are willing to get organized to change this silly ordinance! When the "Learn2LiveGreen" event was advertised, they had a gentleman come from Texas A&M to discuss the benefits of backyard chickens. (Yes, someone was invited to a City of Plano sponsored event to talk about backyard chickens!) I contacted him, and he directed me to this site. I think he would be a valuable resource, and I believe he would be willing to help us to dispel whatever misconceptions are harbored by those who are opposed to something as innocuous as couple of cluckers pecking around in a private backyard.

Please keep me in the loop! I would love to see this ordinance repealed!

Nancy S.

I too don't understand why Plano will not allow backyard chickens. Whatever I can do to convince our city leaders to change the rules, I will be happy to do! Please let me know.

Hey Kathy G! I'm glad you are out there! There are many of us interested in getting chickens in Plano! Just this morning my exterminator was telling me that they are allowed in Richardson, Dallas, Allen and McKinney! What is wrong with Plano? I guess that we need to start moving toward getting some advice from our city councilmen about how to get this issue in front of the Plano City Council. Also, it would seem that it would not be a bad idea to research why and when surrounding communities have allowed chickens. There is a huge tax base in McKinney, and Allen, and the city councils up there don't seem to be afraid that their cities are diminished by the presence of backyard chickens!

If anyone else reads this and would like to help me get this ball rolling, please send me a message!

Thanks!

Nancy S.

I would love to have backyard chickens and am willing to sign any petition. Tell me what I can do!

I live in Allen and the current city ordinance does NOT allow backyard chickens in cookie cutter size homes. It does allow chickens in agriculture zone homes, but there aren't many homes like that in Allen. Last October, I came to Allen's city meeting asking for changes in its ordinance. I also did a long, and thorough paper addressing concerns and myths that people have about backyard chickens. I also went to the city's planning and zoning workshop commission to listen. To date, the city does not make its further advancement on changing its current city ordinance. I am still looking for local Allen citizens to support me. I posted a petition via change.org webpage to get signatures. Thus far, it's been rather hopeless as no one wants to face the city councilmembers, and I'm being honest about this.

I really am hoping that Plano will legalize its ordinance to allow backyard chickens as well!

Back
Top Bottom