Backyard ducks

thanks I have seen this behavior but it is dangerous for the chicken
A male ducks has a penis and roosters do not. So if a male duck were to mount a female chicken it can cause serious injury. Different anatomy, something you should look up. It is quite interesting actually on how ducks mate, but duck sex is not very nice.

BGG, 1/2 acre per duck? I have ducks, but not really a big part of what I do, but at a 1/2 acre each I'd have to own me one of those national parks to raise what I'm raisen now.

Okay y'all don't have to be talking about it like 1/2 acr is rediculus that's what was recommended by my vet and in my 'personal' experience , as I have stated before it has worked and none of my birds have been sick since .

Last edited:
A male ducks has a penis and roosters do not.  So if a male duck were to mount a female chicken it can cause serious injury.  Different anatomy, something you should look up.  It is quite interesting actually on how ducks mate, but duck sex is not very nice.
Yes I have seen that the drakes are very aggressive

My Dad and uncles, raised wood ducks way back then, but they did not keep them. It was part of a ducks unlimited program. They also raised red heads, pintail and canvas backs. Redheads and canvas backs were endangered back then, not sure how they are doing today.

Ducks don't need 1/2 acre per duck... lol. That's what they recommend for horses, and ducks are a lot smaller!

To the OP, 3 ducks for your setup would be fine. As for how many you need, the answer is at least two. I personally like having more than that so that if you lose some to predators or illness, the remaining one won't be alone. 3-5 would probably be a good number for you based on what you've said. Good luck with them!

Ducks don't need 1/2 acre per duck... lol. That's what they recommend for horses, and ducks are a lot smaller!

To the OP, 3 ducks for your setup would be fine. As for how many you need, the answer is at least two. I personally like having more than that so that if you lose some to predators or illness, the remaining one won't be alone. 3-5 would probably be a good number for you based on what you've said. Good luck with them!
Ok thanks for the info
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom