Bad leg wound turning black and scaly leg mites

She might have got bitten by some venomous animal (snake, scorpions, spider) or she might have ingested something poisonous like ergot or similar.

Her legs are proceedingly necrotic and I do not know any means to stop this, unless you know exactly the cause to get some appropriate antidot in time.

Perhaps @Eggcessive can come up with an idea to help her.
Maybe, there are only two species of venomous snake and two species of venomous spider here, although many have milder venom used for hunting. Maybe she has an allergy to a specific venom?
I don't know, whatever it is it happened fast, like scary fast.

Maybe, there are only two species of venomous snake and two species of venomous spider here, although many have milder venom used for hunting. Maybe she has an allergy to a specific venom?
I don't know, whatever it is it happened fast, like scary fast.
Copperhead snake bites are known to have necrotic effect causing severe damage to the blood vessels etc., so the skin peeling off would be normal :

1626383989406.png

http://copperhead-snake.com/

I think so too, no vet available to me unfortunately I have searched for one. I could attempt an amputation, I've seen them done, but I wonder if it's more humane to euthanize.
Do you know of an antibiotic that would help her? I've only used Tylan 50 before but my understanding is that is for respiratory infections.
I'm going to the feed store today to get an antibiotic and planning to do whatever I need to do tomorrow.
I can't think of any antibiotics off the top of my head, maybe someone else will chime in and help.

Personally, I think amputation sounds inhumane. Unless you could put her an an anesthetic, it would hurt her a lot to cut it off. She would also be at risk for excessive blood loss, and she could kick her leg during the surgery and could cause you to mess up. I think at this point, you may have to put her down :(

It’s a tough decision either way.
I personally would put her down but I don’t want to push you toward it if you are feeling it looks better than in the pictures.
It doesn't look better. This will be the first bird I've lost in my five years of doing this.
I still don't know what I am going to do but what would be the best way to euthanize? I really really don't want to hurt her, and like I said there's no vet I could take her to. I'd prefer to bury her in one piece.

There is another post on here about a chicken named Matilda, she had Frost bite on both of her feet. She completely lost 1 foot and a couple toes on the other but recovered and lives a full healthy life. It's your choice but I wouldn't give up quite yet :hugs

Back
Top Bottom