Bad leg

MissBay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
One of my Rhode Island Red pullets has a bad leg. We took her to the vet and the vet sad she pulled
a tendon. He said there is nothing we can do. Is that true? Her new name is Peggie.

wow both of you posted this last year so I hope someone will read this. I am new to having chickens and got 6 chicks. Right away I knew the one was a rooster as he was a bit cocky and was fighting so I gave him away. I still have one rooster for sure, as he has started crowing, but wonder if the others are too as I still don't have any eggs. But the urgent problem when I came home the other day I found one hanging upside down from a cage I have in the yard. I thought she was dead and ran out to retreive her but she was alive. I put her in the cage to protect her (him) from the other chickens. And put water and feed in there so she could reach it. It was hot and after she started drinking and eating she (he) was better within a few hours. She still can't walk but scoots. All of the chickens are about 10 to 12 weeks old and she or he is a lot smaller than the other chickens. As she is a silky. What I think happened is she must have caught her leg in the cage and twisted it. All of them like to roost on it. I have kept her in the yard with the other chickens while in the cage and put her in the coop at night with them (still in the cage)as it is large enough. How long should I wait to see if she improves. I don't want to remove her until I know she can get around good.

Back
Top Bottom