Bad News Today :(

ApesMullen

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

This morning, I saw that one of our polish chicks had passed away. It was Abba, the female. We were very distraught to find out that this had happened. I had gone to sleep at 2 am last night and had checked on them before bed and everything seemed fine, they were all sleeping under Coco. But this morning, I found Abba facing down on the hay as if she was sleeping, but she was gone. I am obviously sad but also disappointed because I felt like I did everything I could to take care of the chicks and to help Coco take care of them but it didn't work. I feel a bit defeated, as this is my first time having baby chicks and raising them. I am left with Dolly, who might be a roo, as I had shared in my introduction post. I examined Abba to see if maybe Coco had killed her but there was no blood, her beak wasn't open, her eyes were closed, essentially she really did look like she was sleeping peacefully, but she was cold. If anyone has advice on what I should do or how to proceed because I don't want to give up on having hens in the future but right now, my motivation has received a punch in the gut. Also, it could have been that I was sold a sick chick, as I had mentioned in my first post, I have had issues with the breeder who sold them to me throughout this whole process. If anyone has any ideas of what could have gone wrong, please share. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hmmm, that's a shame...could be Coco might not be an attentive mama?
No chance of a predator reaching thru crate bars?
No predators, they are inside a back room that we constructed outside of my room which is a back house in our yard. My three cats and two dogs sleep with coco every night in the same room so there's no way that anything would be wanting to get close to the room, let alone be able to, it's very secure. I think that the baby froze to death during the night. But the other chick is always with Coco and runs to be under her whenever he can. She is very attentive with him.

I hate to say it, but sometimes chicks just die. I've had a few that there wasn't anything wrong and one morning they just don't wake up. I hope that your luck turns with your other chick though. I know how bad it feels to lose one.

Hi everyone,

This morning, I saw that one of our polish chicks had passed away. It was Abba, the female. We were very distraught to find out that this had happened. I had gone to sleep at 2 am last night and had checked on them before bed and everything seemed fine, they were all sleeping under Coco. But this morning, I found Abba facing down on the hay as if she was sleeping, but she was gone. I am obviously sad but also disappointed because I felt like I did everything I could to take care of the chicks and to help Coco take care of them but it didn't work. I feel a bit defeated, as this is my first time having baby chicks and raising them. I am left with Dolly, who might be a roo, as I had shared in my introduction post. I examined Abba to see if maybe Coco had killed her but there was no blood, her beak wasn't open, her eyes were closed, essentially she really did look like she was sleeping peacefully, but she was cold. If anyone has advice on what I should do or how to proceed because I don't want to give up on having hens in the future but right now, my motivation has received a punch in the gut. Also, it could have been that I was sold a sick chick, as I had mentioned in my first post, I have had issues with the breeder who sold them to me throughout this whole process. If anyone has any ideas of what could have gone wrong, please share. Thank you!
Oh no I am sorry I am also quite new but she might of not been under coco and she might of froze to death but I don’t fully know.

Oh no I am sorry I am also quite new but she might of not been under coco and she might of froze to death but I don’t fully know.
I think that must've been what happened, I don't understand why she wasn't under her..

Back
Top Bottom