bad news

Hey there, that really is bad luck, so I hope the next lot do better. You're wise to get your setup as predator-proof as you can before you start again and all the advice above makes sense.

It can also be worth considering putting a wire netting roof over your run. If you have an electric fence, that should stop foxes etc but some predators can fly in. Less likely in the UK, as I recall. BUT you can get plagued by sparrows, pigeons etc flying into the run and eating whatever food they can find. Then you needn't clip the chooks' wings either. Not that that is a big hassle, but thought I'd make the suggestion whilst you're making plans. I went for a wire netting roof over mine and don't regret it for a minute, with all the birdlife, possums etc we have here.

Another suggestion - when you start again you might get more than one pullet or hen for the rooster. He may well <ahem> pay too much attention to just one female. I think a common ratio is 5 or 6 hens to a rooster. And, of course you'd get more eggs that way. Thought I'd suggest it now as it might impact on the size of the coop and run you build for them.

Good luck! Let us know how your build goes. We love photos of new coops and runs in progress!!! Hint....

ta and whilst I dont miss the cockrel CLYDE I do miss BONNIE Foxes are off my xmas card list for the moment- but I guess they gotta live too. Think the fence is the way when I restock

Back
Top Bottom