bad news

madchuck

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
derbyshire uk
having fallen into chucks by being addopted by a bird,waitng 4m before he crowed and confirmed he was a rooster I serched BYC for advice on agressive cockrels.Got plenty thanks.Got a girl for him and alls been ok whilst the cows were in -but they have been out a wk and last night mr fox came and took the pair of them.So I have a part finished chuck house and no birds so for now I'm out of luck .But I'll keep loggin in cause I'll get some more later.THANKS

Greetings, madchuck, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us but sorry to hear about your losses to that fox. Hope you can rebuild your flock soon!

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Sorry you lost your chickens :( Good luck to you on your coop build and hope you get some nice new chickens to go with it :)

What kind of cows are in your avatar? They look a lot like our Semintals with their ears so low on the sides.

thanks folks will be rebuilding flock but maybe not free range- got a nice big stone barn thats not used so I can lock some chucks up though it goes against the grain-but it will stop mr fox

so I have been thinkinking about the fox problem and not locking the chucks up-I'm thinking electric fence.This will keep the fox out and chucks in but will I need to clip their wings? Reluctant to do this as if the fox got in they would not be able to fly up the roost and keep out of reach.ANY ideas?

welcome-byc.gif

sorry about your loss happens to everyone at some stage: (

love your simmy cows my favorite cows are the simmy x charolais cows im fortunate to live on a farm and have a 150 head of cattle.

Anyway back to chickens keep them in the electric fence and clip their wings is my advice!!! foxes can smell electric from miles around and wont go near a electric fence as it can and will kill them not with voltage but with shock (seen this done many a time i know im not meant to laugh at them just keeling over but it is very amusing) (i know im sick minded) this is how i have escaped the fox attack so many times!!!

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

James

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom