bad or half-baked chicken advice you've received?

I will proabably take it i the shorts for this one, but....

The whole, 7or 9 week raising chicks with heat starting at 90* thing. Then reducing heat 5* a week (i think). They simply do not need it, and in my opinion do better with out it.

hide.gif

And as far as the yes no thing Bee, Yes you do not need to sterilize or have a bio level 5 coop, or No you do not need to sterilize and keep your coop at bio level 5.

Hows that!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
X2 I don't keep chicks in the house any longer than 1 week and then it's in the chicken house for them. I deplore the house chicken thing and since I have been doing this I do feel my birds do much better in the long run and develop better and never get sick. Letting birds be birds goe's along way to improving their health.

I've seen some doubtful information on Mother Earth News. They ran one article giving advice about building a chicken coop but their design wasn't predator secure; in fact, in the comments, several people reported following the advice and promptly losing chickens to predators. There was also an article advising giving milk soaked bread to a chicken with a respiratory infection.

Just last night a man at my church and I were talking about how my hens aren't laying. He said that his grandmother would put a safety pin throw their nostils until they started laying. I find this very strange and disturbing! Thoughts please!!!!

Quote:
X2 I don't keep chicks in the house any longer than 1 week and then it's in the chicken house for them. I deplore the house chicken thing and since I have been doing this I do feel my birds do much better in the long run and develop better and never get sick. Letting birds be birds goe's along way to improving their health.

x 1000. I've got chicks running around in the snow right now - and they are happy about it..
smile.png

After getting an ecoglow for chicks born w/o broody, I noticed they really only need heat now and then and not anywhere near as much as generally recommended. Some folks keep them in the house, under heat, for eight + weeks and then want to put them outside with a heat lamp in 50F.
smile.png
To each his/her own, but they are hardier than you think.
smile.png

(four week old little roo) Hey, what is this white crunchy stuff?? Can I eat it?
smile.png

P1020293.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

x 1000. I've got chicks running around in the snow right now - and they are happy about it..
smile.png

After getting an ecoglow for chicks born w/o broody, I noticed they really only need heat now and then and not anywhere near as much as generally recommended. Some folks keep them in the house, under heat, for eight + weeks and then want to put them outside with a heat lamp in 50F.
smile.png
To each his/her own, but they are hardier than you think.
smile.png

(four week old little roo) Hey, what is this white crunchy stuff?? Can I eat it?
smile.png

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/fuzzyslipperz/2011-10-28byEye-Fi/P1020293.jpg

Mainly it is attributed to the pet chicken movement and certain sites promote this absurd theory of heat and house chicken care to the high levels we are seeing grow
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom