bad or half-baked chicken advice you've received?

Ideally, yes. This should work in this manner...and it does, to a certain degree. But as the egg emerges from that "pink thing" it can scrape past the edges of the an*l opening where fecal matter may still reside. For the most part, most eggs are delivered clean and clear past that an*l sphincter line but there is always the exception.

Last edited:
Quote:
For that matter, it also sits in bedding that has been stepped on by feet that have 100% for sure been stepping in chicken poo and sat on by fluffy butts that have sat on poo covered ground. So even if the egg comes out perfectly pristine, it is now sitting in germy bedding. So no matter what, I wash my hands after touching eggs and would never make anything with them that wasn't fully cooked. But for me, washing eggs is more stressful because of water (and outer egg germs) splashing and dripping around. I do wipe off any skid marks though. I probably would even go as far as to wipe off the side of the egg that I'm cracking right before using it. I haven't though-we have only used a few of our hen eggs so far.

Nobody has mentioned the "bloom", which is the anti-microbial "lady juices" the hen's system coats the egg with before it exits the chute (regardless of "sharing" or "not sharing" that opening with fecal matter). Poop on the eggs most likely comes from the nest, which some hens just won't refrain from pooping in.

Poop on your chicken eggs has absolutely no impact whatsoever on the contamination inside the egg if you do not wash it. Rinse and wipe the surface and it becomes vulnerable to bacterial contamination through the pores opened by washing away the bloom. I've kept eggs, bloom on, on the kitchen counter for 3 months and eaten them as though they were fresh, no problem. A little dehydrated maybe, but no bacteria. My digestive system and I are here to tell about it.

Additional supporting evidence: gajillions of healthy chicks hatch every day from eggs that have never been washed.

Edited for grammatical clarification purposes

Last edited:
Yes, the bloom helps keep bacteria from getting into the inside of the egg but there's still some on the outside of the bloom layer. I guess that's why a lot of people wash them right before using them.

Here is one I hear alot "free RIR rooster free to a good home not for FIGHTING", my father raised birds for other people for fighting them back when it was more socially accepted and I can tell you a RIR was not used never nadda, you would be laughed out of the room by serious gamecock breeders DP birds were never the preferred breed.

on guy tried to tell me that his chickens were vegan because he fed them vegan food.

unless he had them in cages that were totally bug proof I doubt it. Chickens are scavengers and will eat anything they can. My chickens love mice, bugs, eating poo... and of course layer pellets and scratch!

When the egg falls from the vent, it can fall on the fluffy feathers on their bottom and if those fluffy feathers have traces of wet poo it can pick it off there. I have one BR who always has some white/ urea? left on the tips of her feathers. Shes got the hugest fluffy bottom, so i can tell her eggs.

I was told that "you cant eat brown eggs b/c they come out of the chickens butt. only white eggs are edible."

Back
Top Bottom