bad or half-baked chicken advice you've received?

Interesting stuff. For us "never had chickens before" folks, it can be daunting getting the right information. I have found that I can get information that makes a lot of sense to me from the local cooperative extension. I've gotten good information also from Storey's Guide and Raising Chickens for Dummies. I've talked to a few people that have backyard flocks in my area. (We have unique climate and distance issues here) I "chicken sat" for some friends while they were out on vacation, (which is how I found out they're actually friendly and make cute noises) I have a pretty good share of common sense and a decent knowledge of animal physiology, and by comparing sources, I can determine what I'm going to try first when various issues come up.

I've also gotten good advice in the posts here, but the problem with internet sites and chat rooms is that there's no way of knowing how good the information is, or how reliable the source is, especially when you're new to the forum. There is a difference between experience and expertise. Some people with lots of experience can be doing the same wrong thing for years, and since they don't know any differently, they think they're doing the right thing. Other people experiment and study and develop expertise. Figuring out which is which isn't easy when there are hundreds of posters with funny names and avatars, and great stories, but none of it easy to verify. How do you really get to know someone on the internet? And should I trust someone whose passion is a small flock of pets, if I want to know how to supplement my budget selling eggs? Or should I rely on the advice of someone who raises birds mostly for meat if what I really want is to show my pet hens at the local fair and get blue ribbons?

That's why some of us newbs turn to books and other sources. At least the books are vetted and provide references. I'm fairly late to the internet, and it's not always my first pick for detailed information. It seems that some of the issues on this thread and others are matters of preference, and size and purpose of the flock, and the personality and sensibilities of owners, and differences in climate and predator profiles, and other environmental factors, which indicates to me there are a lot of different right answers out there, and a lot of advice that's good in some situations but not in others.

I guess the bad advice I've noticed is the advice that includes the words, "Always", "Never", and "Only". I'm sure there have been an exception or two to that rule as well.
So I'll keep reading, and keep comparing, and eventually I'll have chicks to put in my coop and I'll start adding experience to my list of resources. Thanks all, for your input.

I'm not sure that anyone is recommending no heat (or no heat lamp) for chicks - I think the point was that it doesn't have to be 95 degrees and that quite a few people overheat their chicks and keep them under heat for too long. The little fluffballs do of course need some heat somewhere!
smile.png

Heard this one the other day - my coworker wanted to buy eggs from me for the first time and told me 'Now, I only want brown eggs - they have a richer taste'.. I tried to explain it was just the paint job, but as I have considerably more brown eggs than white or green I finally gave in and said 'brown eggs it is!'
smile.png

Quote:
There were several people that said 95 degrees(first week only) is cooking the chicks and that they are perfectly happy in 40 degrees...

The issue I had was with people blaming the vast majority of reputable resources for chick raising information for providing "dangerous" information. In the first week, 95 degrees in part of the coop is a general rule of thumb for chicks, and then 5 degree scaling until week 4 where they can transition to outside full time. If people don't follow the guidelines of looking for cues from their chicks that they are too warm/cold then I am sure someone could over heat their chicks. According to our local feed store and many major hatcheries the far more common problem is killing chicks with the temperature being much too cold, having a large percentage die using a 60 watt bulb in a cold environment for instance.

If it's too warm (wasn't for our chicks) they move out of the heat and you adjust the lamp. We initially did have it too cold, ~90 degrees and the chicks weren't moving around or eating much at all, they were all huddled together in the middle of the heat for warmth. This is why watching their behavior, as is recommended, is so important. The guidelines, when read in full, seem to be very safe and fool proof recommendations. There certainly will be variations and different environments that can be successful. Following those "dangerous" guidelines and watching closely the chicks behavior gave us a successful experience.

Part of the problem of recommending 95F heat is this.

Where are folks taking that temperature? On the floor of the brooder? At 6" above the brooder floor, in other words, 6" closer to the lamp?
Those two locations can account for as much as 5-10 degrees of differentiation.

I honestly don't use a thermometer. Been brooding for over 50 years. Just share with new folks the guidance of watching the chicks for feedback. The chicks will tell you. Cooking chicks is not only to be blamed on the imprecise measuring of temperature, but often the suffocating, nature of the ever popular plastic tote, with no meaningful space to self regulate and extremely poor fresh air exchange.

I like to see better understanding of why various management options do and do not work. Too much of "it works for me" or "I have done it for decades" does not in itself spawn confidence, especially when experienced advisors do not agree.

If the chicks are screaming they're usually either too hot or too cold. I haven't let it get to that point often lol but it's soemthing to remember. I tend to keep mine as cool as they can manage and still be OK, depending on the weather outside. If it's hot as hades outside, then they are kept warmer inside than during the fall. I tried following the oft suggested temperatures and quickly found that they don't need that.

I think the most harmful "advice" is that scratch is all the food they need. Not true!

Quote:
I agree. I love to let my chickens free range. Last year a stray dog killed three and one was my favorite. I cried for a week. I still let them out, but try to be outside with them. I hate to see them all run to their gate when I go outside to work and not let them out.

Quote:
I look at this site mostly for opinions. I am a cold raising person my self, and if asked I give my opinion, which I suppose could be construed as advise. Semantics really. What I really like to hear is the philosophy behind the opinion. Mine is raising chicks as close to their 'wild' environment as possible, which I agree for most, is unacceptable. We give them the basics, and that is all, the rest is up to them. I consider expertise schooling (books and theory), and experience as bloody noses. I personally prefer taking advise from those with bloody noses. They hurt, and nobody wants to repeat painful experience. Again semantics, but just my perspective.

One of my favorites is still the rice exploding birds though. Some priest or nun was tired of sweeping up after weddings and that little gem got around the word and is now considered doctrine by many. The same as taking lava rocks from Hawaii. That one came from a bus driver tired of cleaning up the mess in his tour bus. I LOVE IT!!!

not advice but a coworker was trying to bond with me over chickens (she doesnt raise them, just pays more for free range eggs at the grocery) and she says she told her husband: "do you know what commercial egg layers have to DO to those chickens to make them lay white eggs?! its HORRIBLE!"

It was awkward when i was like "well i can give you some eggs but some of them are white... i didnt DO anything to them, just...white egg laying chickens..."

Apparently thats a myth out there. if they are white they were cruelly raised.

Oh also: "Free range organic". Unless your WHOLE yard is organic (that is to say no bug has ever wandered around and got sprayed with pesticides, and you dont keep any thing else like... dog food in your yard) then if your chicken is free range you can't know its organic. Thats crazy talk.

Back
Top Bottom