bad or half-baked chicken advice you've received?

Quote:
I had a friend ask me where the rooster's "man parts" were once, and I had to explain how birds didn't work like that.

Do explain about cloacal kiss in most birds or presence of an intromittent organ known as the pseudo-penis. Again, lets fully cook otherwise answers, otherwise it appears as if you do not know what you are talking about or are simply being rude.

Fully cook? I have no idea what you are trying to convey and the thread's integrity hasn't been compromised one iota. Do you have pills you can take for your these mood swings?

Everyone else is having a good time here.
wink.png

Quote:
Okay, please do not take this the wrong way but I need to ask a couple of questions in regards to this particular post. I wish only to clarify what you are stating and not attempting to start a war of words with you or a fracas in regards to how to explain avian reproduction organs, function and usage to another person.

What exactly do you infer when stating "fully cook otherwise answers" as your use of the word cook does not make much sense to me and I cannot extrapolate from my personal keyboard where an appropriate word has been typoed or misspelled that resembles or has letters near these three particular ones.

You are aware that if the majority of us walked around tossing out words like "cloacal" and "pseudo-penis" will probably just make some poor confused individual run right to the grocery store for some of those homogenized bleached sterile eggs right? There have been studies done that state the larger the word and more scientific the word, the faster people lose interest in what is being said, thus wasting the breath (and typing time) of the individual utilizing those very same words.

Heh. centrarchid, you remind me of my sister- a wonderful woman but with a nursing degree and a major stickler for all the latin verbage she can muster. While technicality can be really important in certain circumstances, like a thread on medical issues of your flock, I think the fact that this is a fun thread poking fun at the crazy advice we get from others kinda calls for a certain sense of the casual.

And centrarchid's comment on "cooking" advice? just look at the title of the thread! I thought he was comparing "open mouth- insert foot" to "open oven-half baked food". A call to think and process before you speak. not a bad idea, just i don't think anyone misspoke.

Anyway, back to the topic, some other bad advice I had was to feed my chickens all corn. JUST corn. Really? he said it would make the eggs really good. I argued I wouldn't get any eggs after a while on that diet. But he was convinced.

Chinchilla2,

When providing information to someone operating with inaccurate information, it is better to use the accurate terminology minus my poor spelling and grammar. This will enable them to pursue more detailed information themselves, if they (the person being newly informed of facts) so decide. Providing answers that are incomplete or colloquialisms will confuse matter. The bigger words need to be occasionally explained, adding more time to typing for author, but in long run their (words) usage enables more detailed and accurate exchanges of information. Most parties reading these threads will over time be exposed to different concepts repeatedly so they will get point. Also, some of the "correct" information needs to be scrutenized by those presenting it, especially when they contrast their level knowledge with those of lesser experience as or before they provide their explaination. Some of my gruffness is a function of seeing a couple authors on this thread providing opinions in other threads while using a condescending tone (should be phrasing).

Quote:
Yes!

I've now asked where the famous "Ten Percent Rule" comes from three times, and nobody's even acknowledged the question.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that it comes straight from commercial chicken feed manufacturers - just like the Purina-Cat-Chow-Is-a-Complete-Diet-for-All-Cats-and-Your-Cat-Will-Get-Sick-and-Die-If-You-Feed-Real-Meat Rule comes directly from . . . Purina.

Like you, Daisy8, I can't figure out how on earth a naturally scavenging omnivore could possibly be better off restricted to a perpetual diet of colorless granules and stale tap water. This just makes no sense to me at all.

idunno.gif

Quote:
I agree on the roos to hens. it largely depends on if the dominate rooster can keep the others in line, and how calm the roosters are compared to how feisty the hens are.

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation and the use of the word "cook" as to your post. I truly do appreciate it. I, too, have used field specific terminology when discussing certain functions, procedures, etc. to those who express either an interest in that particular field or come up with some cockeyed presumption. More times than not, I have to backtrack and go at it using words and analogies that sink in better, or at least that is the hope behind the method. Being a well-read person, I can usually come up with some form of connection between what they know and what they think they know so I use that as my starting place on the analogy. To me, the use of field specific terminology is great since it does impart some knowledge to the uninformed but I also know that sometimes the incorrect information I am trying to supplant is so ingrained that it is easier to dump the terminology and go with easy-to-understand phrases. Of course, by this time I've already made up mind that the ability to teach them anything is a bit like convincing my youngest to clean up his room and going with simple phrases is the quickest way to get the conversation over and done so I can move on to other things.

Quote:
I agree on the roos to hens. it largely depends on if the dominate rooster can keep the others in line, and how calm the roosters are compared to how feisty the hens are.

Ratios can also vary with situation. On tuff walks (farm yards or fence rows where birds are expected breed in a free range setting), two or even one hen per rooster works fine with no damage done to hen(s) by rooster. I expect some paternal investment once chicks weaned of maternal care and rooster would rather court hens than tend chicks if hen number is high. Survival of chicks is improved with Coopers hawks about if father tends them.

Back
Top Bottom