bad or half-baked chicken advice you've received?

Quote:
Because most homemade diets are imbalanced, and tend to be too high in salt. The calcium from greens is not particularly well absorbed by poultry or people. You are puzzled because you haven't had access to a good book on livestock nutrition; once you have it all becomes clear, Grasshopper.
jumpy.gif

We raise our chickens because we know what feed we are giving them, the conditions they live under, and the condition of their health.

See, the main part (among other things) of what puzzles me (a chicken keeper of twenty-plus years who has fed his chickens all sorts of things) about all this the fact that these fancy "complete rations" are only a few decades old. And chickens have been kept by people around the world, with great success, for MILLENIA. How then did these supposedly malnourished chickens survive and thrive for so long? (clearly they did or we would not have chickens today.) Where I live and throughout parts of SE Asia and Oceania there are wild red jungle fowl (the ancestors of all domestic chickens). They thrive and reproduce like rodents, and no one is feeding them a "balanced ration." Of course, these aren't "production chickens" that lay a lot of eggs and so forth--I understand that--BUT... they are chickens, and I assure you they are quite healthy. So it suggests to me that there is definitely a middle ground between the "let the chickens forage for whatever they need" and the "feed only pre-formulated rations" schools of thought. ESPECIALLY amongst the HERITAGE breeds, which are the very breeds that EXCELL at doing just that! These are the breeds that have been kept for generations, and THAT is why! Because they are that middle ground, and that is their value. They may not lay 300 eggs a year, but they don't require a veterinary nutitrion degree and a chemistry lab to feed them or controlled conditions to breed and survive.
smile.png

Also, while the poultry industry might appear to be experts on nutrition, modern nutritional science is uncovering many new partially known or as yet un-known factors (the role of pro-biotic elements, the differences in efficacy between naturally available vitamins and minerals versus the synthetic ones found in many feed mixes, the differences between animal protein from insects and larvae compared to the soy in many feeds, the weird and only partly understood anti-nutritional properties of soy, etc. etc. etc.). So as far as I'm concerned, the jury's not out on any of this stuff. And nature consistently seems to turn out to be a heck of a lot more complex than whatever science the poultry industry uses to synthesize a "balanced ration." I'm not gonna bad-mouth feed mixes, I think they are a great boon for most of us, actually--but I just have no faith in their manufacturers' or anyone else's claims of omniscience and absolute superiority to any and all home-made supplementary feeds or substitutions.

It just doesn't add up, or jibe with my own experience--or thousands of years of chicken-keeping history. A little common sense goes a long way...

Last edited:
The demographics of the typical BYCer, however, may have to be taken into account. If the majority of the pet chickens kept by people here, (if a cursory glance at the little coops, with small runs, in little backyards often depicted in people's posts is any indication), simply have little to no access to a rich environment broadly and loosely described as free ranging.

If the worst advice given here on BYC is that scratch or "treats" (a term I have finally, actually typed for the very first time and I am unhappy in having been forced to do so) should not constitute more than 10% of the diet, then I for one will sleep very well tonight.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes!

I've now asked where the famous "Ten Percent Rule" comes from three times, and nobody's even acknowledged the question.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that it comes straight from commercial chicken feed manufacturers - just like the Purina-Cat-Chow-Is-a-Complete-Diet-for-All-Cats-and-Your-Cat-Will-Get-Sick-and-Die-If-You-Feed-Real-Meat Rule comes directly from . . . Purina.

Like you, Daisy8, I can't figure out how on earth a naturally scavenging omnivore could possibly be better off restricted to a perpetual diet of colorless granules and stale tap water. This just makes no sense to me at all.

idunno.gif

The original "naturally scavenging omnivore" didn't produce more than two hundred eggs per year. The advice on feeding no more treats or greens than chickens can consume in fifteen minutes is a result of detailed studies of productivity. If you are going for the most eggs; you will limit the intake of treats.

The scavenging chickens of the 19th C. had the opportunity to eat mice, rake through other animals manure, and find spilled grains and swill. The scavenging chicken of today rarely has that rich an environment.

The advice didn't come from commercial feed manufacturers; it came from poultry and animal science departments at universities. The roads are littered with farms that failed because someone didn't worry about increasing productivity to cost ratios.

Quote:
I agree on the roos to hens. it largely depends on if the dominate rooster can keep the others in line, and how calm the roosters are compared to how feisty the hens are.

Mine eat the windfall apples.

Naturally occuring vitamins are no better than synthetic vitamins. The notion of vitalism went out in the 19th C. A mineral compound is a mineral compound is a mineral compound. Much of the "nutrition science" publicized is neither since a great deal of it is based on anecdotes or poorly designed studies.

In another post I addressed the issue of the natural scavenger vs. more than 200 eggs per year. Old style farmers were amazed if they had a bird that laid more than 150 eggs per year; flock averages often ran below 100.

Fred's Hens :

The demographics of the typical BYCer, however, may have to be taken into account. If the majority of the pet chickens kept by people here, (if a cursory glance at the little coops, with small runs, in little backyards often depicted in people's posts is any indication), simply have little to no access to a rich environment broadly and loosely described as free ranging.

If the worst advice given here on BYC is that scratch or "treats" (a term I have finally, actually typed for the very first time and I am unhappy in having been forced to do so) should not constitute more than 10% of the diet, then I for one will sleep very well tonight.
smile.png

(singsong) Ha ha hahahh ha! You had to to ty-ype "tre-eats"!!!!!!

Pass the M&Ms, please.
smile.png

Just curious-how do you "fully cook" an answer? Is this an urban dictionary term?

ok I read the explanation and it's just as confusing as the term. Nevermind then-I think I get it.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom