Badly frozen comb is blistering Help! Graphic pictures

Don't pop the blisters it will cause infection. Just leave it alone. Medical doctors will heat up some wax and ever so lightly brush it over the combs to help heal frostbite on the human patients so you can try that but they will not ever pop the blisters on any patients.

If you give them aspirin then it's 1/2 an adult strength or 1 full baby aspirin for pain. Frostbite is very painful so the aspirin will do the job. I only give it to them once a day when they are injured because I do not like to get their blood too thin.

Thanks for the good advice Sheryl. I will have to pick up some baby asprin tomorrow. It looks painful but it doesn't seem to bother him. But I think it might be a good idea to give him one. I know I wouldn't want to go with out some sort of pain management if it was me.

I never pop blisters, The one must have burst on it's own from being so swollen. he might have knocked it on something in the other pen I had him in while I was building him the new one.
I'll keep batheing it with the bentadine and keep an eye on it.

I have several single combed roosters (in NY) and have been putting vaseline on combs and wattles to prevent frostbite. While I was away, one of them got his wattles wet and they froze, so I put vaseline on it and put him under a heat lamp. Now his wattles are swollen, discolored, and hot, but he does not seem to notice, and gave me no trouble touching them. I supose I should try this other treatment that you have been talking about on his wattles, right?

Ugh! My computer keeps kicking me off site!
A lot of the swellen in the blisters has gone down and it's turning an ugly shade of yellow. I'm still bathing it with the bentadine and hopeing for the best.
I will try to get some new pictures and post them if I get the chance today.
Thanks for asking.

Thanks Imp. I forgot to pick up some baby asprin yesterday. What a bad chicken mom I am.
I do have reg asprin so I'll mix some up in his water. Thanks again.

I just wanted to do a quick update. I'm still putting bentadine on his comb and I noticed this morning that some of the very ends of the tips are starting to turn black and dry up. I'm really hopeing that only the tips will be lost and that it won't travel further down.

I still have to get some pics taken. Just been really busy lately.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in to help. It was greatly appreciated.

Ugh, I feel utterly terrible too, but its been a bitter winter thus far here too, like seriously cold, made last year seem mild. We've hit -43C 3 times already since xmas and its been a constant negative 30's C since the first snow fall. Mind you tomorrow will be a nice warm -6C,

anyhow bottom line is, I got all single combs and all my boys have the most terrible frostbite, I tried to do the vaseline at first but not only did they highly dislike that but it was only stressing them out, in turn it made the girls uneasy as well. anyhow I have let them be as they are. for some reason they just feel that to get a drink they must stick their whole heads in the water, why, I have no clue!!!

I know it will eventually fall off and it will look better but poor things look terrible right about now, just like yours!!

Ema

Ema, how far North are you? I'm down in the southern On between Windsor-London corridor.
It's been brutal in the fact that one day it's above freezing and then its a flash freeze, extreme cold again. It's hard to get anyone acclimatised to such weather.
As much as I hate the cold weather, we would be much better off if it would just freeze and stay that way. If it desn't we are going to be real 'buggy' this summer.

Back
Top Bottom