Bag Balm as anti peck ointment?

JacobMaxwell

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
Does anybody use bag balm as an anti peck ointment? One of my hens has a large bald spot partly due to moulting and partly due to pecking (from the coop bully). Since yesterday I have been applying bag balm as a sort of healing ointment. I guess the chickens don't like the taste because allot less pecking is going on now. Has anybody else tried this?

Hi - I am wondering about using bag balm too. I have a broody hen who I think started plucking her own feathers to line a nesting box but since then the other hens are all pecking at her. The front of her neck and tummy are no bald. :-( I checked for mites but no evidence and the other hens are all fine. I have a tub of bag balm and think I'm going to put some on and see if that helps.

Hi - I am wondering about using bag balm too. I have a broody hen who I think started plucking her own feathers to line a nesting box but since then the other hens are all pecking at her. The front of her neck and tummy are no bald. :-( I checked for mites but no evidence and the other hens are all fine. I have a tub of bag balm and think I'm going to put some on and see if that helps.
I started this thread a while ago and I now know that the bag balm doesn't work that well. I had to use these instead (being used on a pheasant here). They're called poultry peepers or blinders. They work very well and stopped all pecking. I would use them in combination with bag balm.

Back
Top Bottom