Bag Balm as anti peck ointment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JacobMaxwell, Feb 16, 2013.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Does anybody use bag balm as an anti peck ointment? One of my hens has a large bald spot partly due to moulting and partly due to pecking (from the coop bully). Since yesterday I have been applying bag balm as a sort of healing ointment. I guess the chickens don't like the taste because allot less pecking is going on now. Has anybody else tried this?

2. Tongy

Tongy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Hi - I am wondering about using bag balm too. I have a broody hen who I think started plucking her own feathers to line a nesting box but since then the other hens are all pecking at her. The front of her neck and tummy are no bald. :-( I checked for mites but no evidence and the other hens are all fine. I have a tub of bag balm and think I'm going to put some on and see if that helps.

3. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    I started this thread a while ago and I now know that the bag balm doesn't work that well. I had to use these instead (being used on a pheasant here). They're called poultry peepers or blinders. They work very well and stopped all pecking. I would use them in combination with bag balm. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by