Bald patches on chicken in winter

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I've got a chicken that over summer developed bald patches on her back that I assume stem from being the rooster's favourite. He has 9 hens and none of the others look like that. No injuries or signs of illness or pests. I had hoped the feathers would grow back in before winter but they have not and now we are headed into below freezing temperatures. She doesn't appear to be cold and when touching her bald patches, they feel warm. Most of the bald areas are covered by her wings, but not all. Will she be okay in winter or is there something I can do? I do have those little chicken saddles. I didn't use them during summer because it rained most of the time and they'd just get wet. I'm not sure if they'd do much good now either. Where I live it usually doesn't go much below freezing but it can for shorter periods. I had one chicken that molted during fall but her feathers already look grown back in.

Pictures can help. How old are the hens with bald spots? Once the feathers are gone, they usually do not grow back until the hen molts again. I have used hen saddles, just homemade polar fleece ones the first year that I had a few bald girls. Just don’t use them if they are in molt and new feathers are coming in. They usually do fine without a saddle on them. This link shows a simple hen saddle that requires no sewing:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html

Pictures can help. How old are the hens with bald spots? Once the feathers are gone, they usually do not grow back until the hen molts again. I have used hen saddles, just homemade polar fleece ones the first year that I had a few bald girls. Just don’t use them if they are in molt and new feathers are coming in. They usually do fine without a saddle on them. This link shows a simple hen saddle that requires no sewing:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html
It is just one of them and she is about a year and a half. She isn't molting though, I'm sure of that. The saddle looks great, I already have some polar fleece lying around, so thanks, this is very useful! :)

Back
Top Bottom