Bankovid versus Oriental Gamefowl

There is another theory besides the island devoid of terrestrial predators theory. That is that the birds that gave rise to modern malayoids were developed in a landscape dominated by large apex predators. A tiger or a leopard would probably not risk an eye for a tiny morsel, and the smaller predators would be busy trying to hide from tigers and leopards, while staying full on the scavenged kills of these larger predators. The birds may have adapted the attitude that we know and love as a result. Sometimes evasive actions win out over time, but think of the skunk. Having your eyes pecked out by a psycho asil hen that will absolutely not quit or back down is at least as unpleasant as being sprayed by a skunk. Behavior adaptations are pretty widespread, some mimicking more dangerous species (tail rattling in blacksnakes). The behavioral adaptations could have prevented the need to fly much higher than a tiger's eyeballs.

The observations I have made would indicate that there is a marked difference in the flight response of the two types. The hens of both will defend chicks, but the American Game type will usually break off the attack once the chicks scatter. The Asil hen will drive the threat out of the area with relentless fury. In some cases she will send chicks to cover before actively engaging the threat, seeking it out and approaching it. Both types of chicks will scatter once big enough to be able to. (Younger chicks will immediately hide in vegetation). American game chicks when scattering tend to run flap flutter and fly to safety, perching and freezing when able (which for them is four weeks). It's the covey of quail response, relying on startling and bewildering a predator making it difficult to single one out. The asil types will use their longer legs to run, (which they can do much faster than normal chickens) then when they get to cover they go torpedo mode, stabbing their long necks as deep into cover as they can fit, where they will stay until the hen comes to get them. Less startling and bewildering and more putting distance between them and a threat, a devil take the hindmost attitude leading to selection for speed(long legs).

Hen response to predators is variable in the American Games. I mean it is not dictated entirely by genetics. Depending on the hens background, she communicates differently with chicks in how she directs them to respond. Using an approaching hawk as an example, a calm hen will lead chicks to cover while a skittish hen will give a vocalization that cause chicks to fly hard in a straight line to cover and bury themselves inside. The latter hen may turn to engage hawk or run off in a different direction. They can also differ in a similar manner when challenged by a Red Fox. With younger chicks they as a group fall flat in place not moving while the hen walks off making a lot of racket holding her tail up.

My game hens will take a Coopers Hawk on and prevail most of the time. Usually that does not go beyond bluffing stage when I witnessed it although I have now seen a hen get a hawk down and she would have killed it if I did not intervene. I have picture of dazed hawk immediately after I picked it up somewhere on this site.

At this point in time I am not going to over generalize on how American Games behave.

As for running speed and nature of bones; well I want some pure orientals I can work with and possibly dissect my self. The gooney part Jap cockerel I have does appear to be better suited for running on grass but his body orientation is more like that of an American Game than of an Oriental. His body axis is horizontal rather than more or less upright. Larger ground dwelling predator birds and ratites have / have horizontal body plans as well.

I think the oriental body plan is in part a function of the fighting style promoted over the millennia where endurance and causing damage by biting is more important. The bankivoid type where selected more for speed and in my opinion were reared more under conditions where the breeder had birds challenged more by cooler climate and predators better avoided by flying.

The difference in digestive tract really interest me. The oriental keepers have communicated with seem more particular about what they feed their birds.

It would be cool so see articulate skeletons of both type side by side.

I have been watching lots of videos on Aseels. Videos makers are in Pakistan or India. Some involved fighting, others involved husbandry or at least what I could infer from videos apparently posted to advertise birds for sale.

The husbandry side is totally different from American Games as I have experienced it. The Aseel people kept the majority of adult birds in relatively small pens that appeared to be a cubic meter / cubic yard and were largely enclosed. Feeding of those birds appeared to be restricted. Several had a broody hen in with cock. Number of chicks was low. Juvenile birds were kept in a version of free-range where perimeter appeared secure even against humans. Not a lick of living greenery was evident. Feeding of even those birds appeared restricted.

What do they feed those birds? I saw no evidence of access to greenery like I go out of my way to provide my American Games with. What did they feed them before advent of commercially available complete feed formulations?

I have been watching lots of videos on Aseels. Videos makers are in Pakistan or India. Some involved fighting, others involved husbandry or at least what I could infer from videos apparently posted to advertise birds for sale.

The husbandry side is totally different from American Games as I have experienced it. The Aseel people kept the majority of adult birds in relatively small pens that appeared to be a cubic meter / cubic yard and were largely enclosed. Feeding of those birds appeared to be restricted. Several had a broody hen in with cock. Number of chicks was low. Juvenile birds were kept in a version of free-range where perimeter appeared secure even against humans. Not a lick of living greenery was evident. Feeding of even those birds appeared restricted.

What do they feed those birds? I saw no evidence of access to greenery like I go out of my way to provide my American Games with. What did they feed them before advent of commercially available complete feed formulations?
I think what you are seeing is a product of the region they are being kept in. Both arid and highly populated. My orientals tend to get fat easily compared to American gamefowl I have had. They benefit from a lower protein feed when growing to prevent leg problems. Have noticed that many orientals abroad are kept under very close confinement. But have also seen evidence of hens and young allowed to fend for themselves, much as I personally raise them.

The small gut you mentioned earlier might be a reflection of how they have been fed or their growth rate. I would expect a small gut for a bird given a restricted ration made more of easily digested and nutrient rich foods, which means not so much greens. The growth rate being slow is what I am seeing with the single half breed. He never packs the crop and does cherry pick what is heats. He is a heavy little turd but is not putting weight on fast. He also does not appear to be having as many molts to go through. His tail and wing flight feathers are still the same ones he had erupting at hatch even though he is pushing eleven weeks old. My American games are well into their second set when only 6 weeks old.

This my first time to handle a pure Oriental Game. Has heavy duty beak and muscles operating mandible are well developed making head appear triangular from above. Neck inserts more into base of head rather than from back typical of American Games. Body is too heavy for gliding flight but well suited for vertical thrust supported flight. Center of gravity also way back when bird not standing erect. Disposition very calm.

Head moved about like on a hawk.

20190928_090143_HDR[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom