Bantam Ameraucana

What color did you get? Do you have any pics?
Lavender wheaten and silver they just hatched. I’m not sure if she is selling eggs right now though.

Attachments

• 49FC885A-A415-4BA9-94F1-347EF0028C31.jpeg
    49FC885A-A415-4BA9-94F1-347EF0028C31.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 7285BAE2-17BB-4446-B799-E0179D7C92EF.jpeg
    7285BAE2-17BB-4446-B799-E0179D7C92EF.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 6
Also have you ever looked into medicated feed for baby chicks? I’m sure many are against it, but it’s not antibiotics or hormones, just amprolium for the prevention of coccidiosis. Sorry if you already know this or did this, just figured I’d put it out there

I know I’m so excited! I would love to show one in a fair next year, not sure how that works but it sounds fun!

Also have you ever looked into medicated feed for baby chicks? I’m sure many are against it, but it’s not antibiotics or hormones, just amprolium for the prevention of coccidiosis. Sorry if you already know this or did this, just figured I’d put it out there
Chicks are adorable! I’m also planning to show my birds from, there’s november-December shows in my area they’ll be old enough to attend this year. Medicated feed is a good idea; i didn’t use it on my group and the results feel disastrous(lost some to coccidiosis!). I’ve got 10 more who just hatched, and plan to use it on them.

I’ve gone both ways with chicks. In recent years, I learned on BYC to introduce a plug of soil to them at 2 days, and their immune systems get an ‘innoculation’ of sorts that way and it seems to have worked here. I think the amprolium does the same, it helps them become immune. But as I Like Turkeys mentions, coccidiosis can and does kill chicks. They lost a lot of them.
My last batches of chicks have been hen raised, and mama takes them outside to peck and scratch around. Fingers crossed, i haven’t seen coccidiosis in any here. My main reason not to use medicated is that the entire flock of all ages gets the same feed, an all flock feed. But yeah, it certainly is worth considering, it wouldn’t be hard to start even hen raised babies on the medicated.

Chicks are adorable! I’m also planning to show my birds from, there’s november-December shows in my area they’ll be old enough to attend this year. Medicated feed is a good idea; i didn’t use it on my group and the results feel disastrous(lost some to coccidiosis!). I’ve got 10 more who just hatched, and plan to use it on them.
How old do they have to be to attend shows do you know?

How old do they have to be to attend shows do you know?
No set age(but you definitely don't show chicks), but hens-from what i've been told- are finished filling out by around 6 months old, roosters take around a year or so to finish, so though I haven't shown any birds ever, I'd assume it's best to wait until they're at least 6 months old.

@SueT hey! Did your hen ever go broody and were you able to hatch eggs?
Ha, well…she went broody in July, and I decided to just give her our own eggs. She’s a Spitzhauben mix and I was curious what the result would be bred back to our Spitz rooster. I like the Spitz’s and the mixes.
But, it was really really hot here, triple digits for days and days. Her eggs quit after 2 weeks, she’d been broody 3 weeks. I couldn’t give her new fresh eggs at that point.
There’s a hatchery near Kansas City that holds traveling chick days events in small towns in MO, KS, AR, OK. And they were going to be in our area the next day after I removed her eggs.
So I stopped by and got 6 bantam EE chicks, I chose all greys. I put them under her that night, and she happily adopted them, I was thrilled.
IMG_4974.jpeg
So that’s what I’ve got, they are now 6 weeks old. 3 are girls, I’m happy with that, the boys will go to the swap.
IMG_5511.jpeg
These are the pullets:
IMG_5469.jpeg
Because you told us about your chicks and coccidiosis, I have been giving them a preventative dose of Amprolium in their water (after Mom hated the medicated feed and pulled it all out of the feeder). So far so good.
So not bantam Ameraucanas after all. But we’re pleased with them.
How about yours? Any new pics?

Back
Top Bottom