Bantam Brahma just hatched 7 ducklings!

EllieandOlive

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
Our 8 month old TSC bantam brahma hen went broody on her own two eggs and 5 golf balls I had in their nesting boxes. I felt sorry for her (she was there for 2 weeks before I candled the 2 eggs and found they were dead). So I gave her the only fertile eggs I had, which were from my khaki campbell ducks. Today she successfully hatched out all 7 of them! So proud of my little hen!

Attachments

• 1120201400.jpg
    1120201400.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1120201330.jpg
    1120201330.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 13
Our 8 month old TSC bantam brahma hen went broody on her own two eggs and 5 golf balls I had in their nesting boxes. I felt sorry for her (she was there for 2 weeks before I candled the 2 eggs and found they were dead). So I gave her the only fertile eggs I had, which were from my khaki campbell ducks. Today she successfully hatched out all 7 of them! So proud of my little hen!
Soooo Cute!!! I’m in love! I call it love at first sight lol

Congrats! They're adorable! Broody mamas are awesome! Great job, Mamma!

I moved them to the ground in a tipped-on-its-side bin with lots of shavings and put momma back on top of them. They are enclosed in a puppy pen also to keep the otherchickens and roosters and ducks out of momma's way. BUT! She is now ignoring them and sitting beside them, not on them. She escaped and went to sit back in the empty nesting box. I put a screen over the top of the puppy pen so she has to stay with them, but she is still ignoring them and sitting beside instead of over them. When should I intercede with the heating? I'm about to boot momma out and give them a brooder heat source and just brood them normally myself.

Did she just finish hatching them today? If so , she may need more time to bond with them in her "safe place." If they have hatched within past 24 hours, i would allow her to go back to her nest tonight, and put the ducklings in with her to bond.

Did she just finish hatching them today? If so , she may need more time to bond with them in her "safe place." If they have hatched within past 24 hours, i would allow her to go back to her nest tonight, and put the ducklings in with her to bond.
Yes they hatched maybe 5 hours before I moved them. I didn't realize it mattered :(

Back
Top Bottom