Bantam chick with eye abnormality

It does sound like possible mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) It can cause the bubbles in the eyes as well as other respiratory symptoms. Symptoms can come back during periods of stress, and it is contagious to other chickens. Tylosin powder in the water, or Tylan injectable given orally 025 ml per pound 3 times a day for 3-5 days can be a good treatment. Some use oxytetracycline. The LA 200 is injectable and given once a 3 days. Most people would close their flocks with MG. It can pass through hatching eggs.

Hello Eggcessive,

I'm loving all these egg puns. That did cross my mind too. I do have some injectable Tylan 50 that I can give instead. I do not plan on breeding or selling eggs from the flock. I will treat them accordingly and deal with it as it comes on again.

Thank you for the reply!

Hey Tookie,

the other chicks seem to be fine for now. I know there is a 10 day window to watch for others to develop symptoms. The affected one has been eating and drinking normally. We did a flush of the eye last night and applied more Terramycin and Neosporin. The swelling seems unchanged, so I am going to put Tylan in her water as recommended above.

I will let you know if and when I see improvements. Thanks for checking in!!!

Hey Tookie,
I just wanted to reach out and say thanks for all your help and follow up with our sick chick. The swelling in her eye has almost disappeared completely without any antibiotic treatment. She still has a little nasal discharge, but very minimal. There are others outside occasionally sneezing and nasal drainage too, but not nearly as bad as she was. Everyone else seems fine otherwise. Thanks for the support.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Hey Tookie,
I just wanted to reach out and say thanks for all your help and follow up with our sick chick. The swelling in her eye has almost disappeared completely without any antibiotic treatment. She still has a little nasal discharge, but very minimal. There are others outside occasionally sneezing and nasal drainage too, but not nearly as bad as she was. Everyone else seems fine otherwise. Thanks for the support.

Have a great holiday weekend!
Your welcome! Glad to hear she/he is doing better! Keep an eye on all your chicks and make sure none get sick. You have a great holiday weekend too!

Back
Top Bottom