Bantam Polish Folks..............Got Lavender?

waterbabies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
Pueblo, CO
I just wanted to let the Bantam Polish folks know that there are true lavenders up for auction in the 8 weeks and older section. These birds do NOT have another breed crossed in to get the color. The breeder had a pen start producing lavs last year. You will not get throwbacks from this group.

And just for the record I am not the breeder, just a very satisfied customer.

Well, some pics of the birds would help to decide the issue for me!
smile.png

Having 2 brand new (to BYC) people say they are beautiful is nice, but without photos I am apt to be a bit cautious, especially when that much money is on the line. I would want to see pics of the birds, including combs, feet, etc, as well as pics of the parent stock if possible.....

Katie

Quote:
True. That.

Who posts the "this thread is useless without pichers" picture??!!! We need them for this thread.
lol.png

I saw the eggbid auction, but there were no pictures on the ad, either. Pooey. I breed bantam Polish in several different colors, and lavender is something I'd be very interested in. But I would need lots more info--and pictures.
big_smile.png

Maria -

I got a nice PM asking for my email to send pics. They are having difficulty uploading. I'll post them here when I get the pics.
smile.png

Katie

would like to see some myself, I love bantam polish, but find it VERY hard to believe there wasnt any outcrossing to create them, lavender doesnt just SHOW UP in a breed, it has to be bred for, right?

Quote:
It's possible Aubrey, it had pop up from somewhere along the lines just like these other recessive genes like for instance with Plymouth Rocks, Barred was the orginal color and white sports popped out of them, thus creating the white rocks, same thing with other old recessive white breeds like Jersey Giants, Javas, and Dominiques.

So I would imagine it would also be possible that the recessive lavender can pop up somewhere.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Cool. I'm excited to see pics. I've thought about working on a lavender variety, but with what I'm starting with, it would take a LONG time to get back to Polish type.

I also wonder about it just popping up? Lavender isn't the same as white. I'm not saying that it's not possible--I definitely don't know enough about genetics to say that with any certainty--and I'm not saying that the breeder isn't being truthful. They may have not ever crossed breeds, but maybe somewhere in the bird's ancestry there was another breed? Or...it's just one of those great chicken genetic mysteries. The world may never know.... wait, wait, that's the tootsie pop. Start talking about pretty birds and I get all kinds of discombobulated.
lol.png
Or it's early.
caf.gif
Or both.

Back
Top Bottom