Bantam sneezes

Kirmi8

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Canada (Prairies)
So we’ve been having incredibly mild weather for this time of year and freezing and thawing continuously so my coop has been a mess. I was hoping to wait until we froze for good to do a deep clean and have it good for winter, but alas I ended up just cleaning it a couple days ago. For the last while I’ve noticed some intermittent sneezing from everyone but no discharge or anything else concerning.
While I was cleaning I noticed my one bantam is quite sneeze with some nasal discharge (no eye bubbles or nose bubbles, just wet looking beak). Her previous owner indicated that she was a bit sneezy last winter.
Is this just a bantam sensitive respiratory issue due to their bedding being wet for too long? Or did I stir something up while cleaning? She is bright and alert and eating otherwise. I thought about quarantining but figured it would stress her and exacerbate issues and if it’s a pathogen everyone has already been exposed for the last few months anyways. (4 bantams, 17 leghorns, 1 rooster, and the rest Easter egger/BYM).

Not overly excited about treating large scale and having to waste eggs. Hoping for supportive care and fresh bedding to be the answer, but would love some insight.

Attachments

• B2862119-C39F-4E4C-A156-6663A0DD3A55.jpeg
    B2862119-C39F-4E4C-A156-6663A0DD3A55.jpeg
    527.4 KB · Views: 12
How much fresh air is coming into the coop? Is there a strong ammonia odor?
It’s fine now that’s I’ve cleaned it out. But I will admit it was getting bad due to freezing and thawing and the resulting moisture buildup. Although I tend to think my version of bad isn’t that bad as I try to be pretty particular about keeping them clean and I can’t stand the ammonia smell.

I have two vents (and I’m waiting for help to install a fan to push air out) and I have a big window that I’ve been opening in the nicer weather which definitely helps. We had a three day wind/snow storm earlier on and I wasn’t able to open their door. But for the last while the window and door has been open and most of them go outside with the exception of the bantams. I’ve yet to see them venture outside.

My coop is about 12 feet long and 8-10 feet wide and a very high vaulted roof. I have many different levels of roosts as well.

Anyways, all that to say, it very well could be irritation from the soiled bedding - I usually never let it get that bad. Our weather continues to be very mild and I wish it would just sort out and freeze now.

I would make so there's more ventilation and see if that resolves the issue. Since no one is really showing any signs of being sick (lethargy/inactive, etc.) then I would just monitor it for a few more days.

Thanks! Will continue to monitor. Coop window has been wide open the last few days (+6 C currently which seems to wrong for December). We have like 85-90 % humidity outside currently and coop stays about 70-80% it seems. Looking forward to the dry, cold weather we’re more used too.

If sneezes don’t resolve, but everyone continues to be happy and bright and doing normal chicken things, I should just keep monitoring right? Or is there a point in time I need to consider treatment (obviously if things get worse or I see mucopurulent discharge).

If there's no other symptoms, then yes, I would monitor. Keep the coop ventilated and perhaps pick up droppings more often.

If things get worse, then you can try treating symptoms with an antibiotic like Tylosin.

I would make so there's more ventilation and see if that resolves the issue. Since no one is really showing any signs of being sick (lethargy/inactive, etc.) then I would just monitor it for a few more days.
Even with an abundance of fresh air yesterday, this morning she is very congested. Called my vet to look into injectable treatment for her or if I should treat everyone with water soluble antibiotics. Or if this is viral. Ugh.

Talked with my vet. Going with an injectable AB. Did my first IM poultry injection. Aside from her screaming bloody murder about being caught, it went surprisingly well. Fingers crossed she feel better quickly. Thanks again for the support and listening ear (reading eye?).

Back
Top Bottom