Bantam trio must be split up sadly

esocker

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
My son raised three bantam chicks this spring, they are just turning 6 months old. Sadly, two have turned out to be roos and they are not allowed where we live, although our neighbors like the chickens and won't complain. They are three different breeds and get along great- a millefleur hen, a silver seabright roo and a mixed-breed roo (beige and white with yellow legs and a small comb and wattle). We hate to separate them but don't want to get fined. We have an opportunity to exchange the roos for year-old hens of another breed and I am wondering how this would go as we are new at raising chickens. Thanks!

Just introduce them supervised and watch for any signs of attack or major pecking. I usually put newbies in a dog crate IN the coop for a couple of days so they can all get used to each other before they can meet beak to beak. Are you going to quarantine those new girls for a month? I highly recommend it, would hate for your son to lose his remaining girl to some nasty buggies or diseases that the new hens might have.

Thanks. I am getting the hens from a reliable farm, but I suppose that's not a guarantee. Will the hen we have adjust ok? We so hate splitting the group up- when she gets separated from the roos now she peeps away wondering where they are!

Quote:
I think she will eventually adjust alright. I think getting some new hens will help her since chickens like to have other chickens around. I would quarantine though...it's the best thing you could do for all of them.
smile.png

It will be tricky quarantining them as we live in Maine and it'll be cold before a month is up, I'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom