Bantams & Big,(ex batt.) Girls,Will they get on?

Jenufa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013

Violet is laying an egg daily afte a fairly long eggless period. She still misses Bertha even though she ,Bertha,bullied her mercilessly. She still pauses and looks across at where her old coop used to stand.I wish I could see inside her silly little head,just for an instant. I'm sure I'd find a mixture of emotions; sadness,longing,regret.
A much,much much MUCH diluted version of
what goes on in our own heads; but a version nonetheless.

Last edited:
0.jpg

It's quite amazing how these 5 get on now,considering that,up until a few days ago,Ville was bullying Violet and Violet was very aggressive towards the Barbs. Perhaps they'll put up a united front when the Big Girls are out!
We haven't been able to let them out yet because the weather's been wet and windy and they've shown no signs of wanting to go out! In fact, several seemed very hervous regards the wind.

How long did she go before laying? I am kinda in the same situation. It's been about 6 weeks since she had an egg.

Depends on how old she is.Has she had any upsets?
I can only go by my own chooks' experience and Violet stopped laying because of being separated from her mates--even though they bullied her really badly.
Then she had to get used to being with Ville,who bullied her to start with. Now that they've settled down Violet is a much happier chook and has started laying again!
But what applies to one chook doesn't necessarily apply to another. There are many factors involved. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. You could tell me a bit more about your chook,if you like!

We had a dog attack and she lost her friends. Since then we have replaced them and the are all getting along good. I wormed them all 3days ago.

I'm very sorry to hear about the dog attack. If that took place around,or near,the same time as she stopped laying,then I think you may have the answer. Something as powerful as a dog attack will take her quite a while to get over. But as she's getting on well with her new friends and if she's young enough,and depending what breed she is----she should start laying again.
I must tell you that I'm not an expert in the field and these are simply my opinions-learned mostly from my own girls!

Best wishes

I believe NH Reds are not very heavy layers. She's young; she'll soon sort herself out.

Best of luck.

I don't know how the video's got above the toolbar!
I think dustbathing is a chook activity which is amusing for chook lovers to observe and obviously gives tremendous pleasure to the chook-though Ville looks more confused than happy!
I wanted to attach another short video of several of our chooks dustbathing,but,as soon as I send it to 'share' it reverts to
an ordinary pic.
Interestingly,the Barbs have shown no inclination to dustbath. Perhaps they're too young.

Well--the video of Ville, which was supposed to be in the above thread, has disappeared! Shall I have another attempt at inserting it?

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom