bare and bloody lower back!

salliet

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2017
Mattituck, NY
I have five pullets 8 months old. I had a cockerel but I had to get rid of him a few weeks ago. Between the boredom of being cooped up through snowstorms and frigid cold and redefining the pecking order - two of my girls are getting picked on pretty badly.
I noticed two days ago the tiny patch on the back of one pullet had gotten larger and was bloody (picture attached). She also looks like she is getting bald spots on her butt. Another is losing feathers in the same place on the lower back but no bald spots/blood yet and her butt looks ok.
I put pick-no-more on their backs and that seems to keep the other birds away from them for now.

My questions:
Do I separate them?
How long does it usually take for feathers to grow back so they can be reintroduced to the flock? I hate to think the girls being bullied will be stuck in the garage for the rest of the winter!
I afraid that the main bully will start picking on the other girls if these two are gone.
What do I do for the one that is bloody? I am at a loss here. No motherly instinct is clicking in... I am heartsick. Do I bathe, medicate, or just let nature take it's course?

thanks in advance for any help.

sallie
IMG_7874.jpeg

I have five pullets 8 months old. I had a cockerel but I had to get rid of him a few weeks ago. Between the boredom of being cooped up through snowstorms and frigid cold and redefining the pecking order - two of my girls are getting picked on pretty badly.
I noticed two days ago the tiny patch on the back of one pullet had gotten larger and was bloody (picture attached). She also looks like she is getting bald spots on her butt. Another is losing feathers in the same place on the lower back but no bald spots/blood yet and her butt looks ok.
I put pick-no-more on their backs and that seems to keep the other birds away from them for now.

My questions:
Do I separate them?
How long does it usually take for feathers to grow back so they can be reintroduced to the flock? I hate to think the girls being bullied will be stuck in the garage for the rest of the winter!
I afraid that the main bully will start picking on the other girls if these two are gone.
What do I do for the one that is bloody? I am at a loss here. No motherly instinct is clicking in... I am heartsick. Do I bathe, medicate, or just let nature take it's course?

thanks in advance for any help.

sallie View attachment 1254694
ld
I would check for mites/love they might be pulling their own feathers out trying to itch. It could also be rats if they don’t have any perches in their coop to get them off the ground. If those aren’t the issues I would try observing their behavoir to see who the culprit is.

Treat the wounds with purple spray. The other hens will pick and peck at the bloodied part. Also if it is feather pecking try and get some pine tar and brush over the area being pecked at. They don't like the taste of it and should leave then alone. Try and put some things in the run to occupy them to try and stop boredom. This can cause problems like what your having.

ld
I would check for mites/love they might be pulling their own feathers out trying to itch. It could also be rats if they don’t have any perches in their coop to get them off the ground. If those aren’t the issues I would try observing their behavoir to see who the culprit is.

there is one smaller pullet that seems to have taken the top spot - she pecks/plucks everyone else every chance she gets. I was sitting with them today and I observed the one chicken that has always been on the outside (last to eat, separated at night, etc) go to peck the one with the bloody spot. She seemed confused that it was gone - (covered by the pick-no-more).

I haven't noticed any signs of mites or rodents. We have a pretty bad vole problem in the yard so I am always looking. Also - they do have a perch about 4 feet off the ground that they all sleep on.

there is one smaller pullet that seems to have taken the top spot - she pecks/plucks everyone else every chance she gets. I was sitting with them today and I observed the one chicken that has always been on the outside (last to eat, separated at night, etc) go to peck the one with the bloody spot. She seemed confused that it was gone - (covered by the pick-no-more).

I haven't noticed any signs of mites or rodents. We have a pretty bad vole problem in the yard so I am always looking. Also - they do have a perch about 4 feet off the ground that they all sleep on.
Once there is blood all chickens will attack. I would go to your local farmers market and get blue kote and spray where there is blood to stop further pecking.

Back
Top Bottom