Barn Trouble (Horse People Please Post) -Update on Page 6-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever think about buying some land and keep your horse yourself? We did that 4 years ago, i have 4 grand kids that ride my wife and i ride we ahve 11 horses now some are rescues. we ride bouth english and western. when i ride i allways wear overalls so i look real good in cowboys boots cowboyhat and overalls big smith of corse rideing english.

I'd move the horse immediately. What an old A-munch!

I have to say though, the OP sounds like an extremely patient person. After a couple times of hearing how everything I do is horrible and a waste of time, I'd blow up right in his face and well him to stick his opinions were the sun don't shine!

Joking around, I can see it. But seriously? What a...stuffy old peacock.

Paying for abuse? Really?

Seriously, it seems you are a sensitive and caring person.... can you imagine going off and trodding on another's feelings like that?

Sounds like he gets off on emotional abuse. People like that are great at choosing people that will put up with their poop.

Yes, I agree, move, and don;t worry about his feelings. He's not worrying about yours.

And I totally agree with you on the 4 year old gelding issues. He's an Anglo Arab. It;s better to go easy on them than beat them up and expect perfaction. I've had my QH for 16 years, and he's never been a lame a day in his life. I didn't train him until age 4.

Thanks so much everyone. I will be going to look at two new stables tomorrow and Monday! It all depends on what they look like, but I am nearly positive we will be moving Oz (My gelding) out ASAP! Also both barns are cheaper than what I am currently paying which as Mr. X claimed "he was not making a penny." Ok here is the issue; one barn is owned by a school mate of mine's family. The owner feeds twice a day, worms, and gives shots which sounds great but I really don’t want him to do all that with MY horse. I will feed him at least once a day and I will worm him as I honestly believe that cleaning up and caring for your own horse is a HUGE part of owning one. My horse would be on 24/7 turnout which also kicks it, as he is prone to rain-rot so he really needs to be up during heavy rains. He would have a shelter of course, but the question is “Would he use it?”

The other barn also has its issues; I would have to do everything for my horse. Feed twice a day, water, everything…which would be fine if the barn was not 26 miles away from my home.; which would mean at least two trips there and back...daily come hell or high water. However the facility sounds lovely, 140 acres of pasture, trails, and Oz would have a stall all to himself as well as turnout whenever I please. This place also has other riders in my discipline, and my age group.

What do y’all think?

Both barns also have outdoor arenas.

I like the sound of the first barn better.

Ask the owner if you can make special arrangements regarding his housing. Many times, with a little bit extra money involved, the owners will assist in your horse's specific needs. He may also knock down some of the rent or bill for you feeding your own feed, shoveling your own poo and worming your own horse.

I would go with option # 1. Surely, since you sort of know these people through your old classmate,they won't mind if you do some of the work yourself. In fact, I'd think they would welcome it. I've done the completely self-service barn that was 20 min away. Trying to get up there twice a day EVERY day, is really hard, especially if you work. My horse had rain rot issues as well. He was pastured, had access to shelters, and , apparently, didn't use them. I just had to be extra vigilant to keep him groomed, and use the iodine shampoo/rinse when I saw a problem. (Keep in mind, this was almost 20 years ago--don't know what you all use today!)

Last edited:
I go for #1, simply because you never know when you'll have car trouble or the flu. One thing about keeping your own horse is you are ON CALL all the time. I love it, but I have done chores just 24 hours after childbirth, knee surgery, you name it.

Most barn owners that offer services do it because they think the clients want it, or they just want it done. i am sure you will come across as someone who WILL worm their horse, not just avoid it to save $$.

Good luck!!!

As everyone has said....move your horse!!

About the notice to the current barn you are at...I would be worried that he will say "Get your horse out now!"
Make sure if you do give him notice, that you can take your horse to the new barn at a moments notice.

I believe he has been way out of line with you. DH and I ride western (working cow horses), but whatever style of riding you do is your business, not the barn owners.

Good luck on finding the right barn.
fl.gif

Jean

Quote:
Since you will be there once a day anyway, perhaps you could put a rain sheet on him if rain is predicted...just a thought! About the other barn, perhaps you could form a sort of 'co-op' with some of the other owners, ie...I will feed your horse today, if you will feed mine tomorrow, sort of thing. If you had say, 3 people together then you wouldn't HAVE to go but every third day...another thought. Good luck girl, I hope you find a place to "enjoy" your horse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom