Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Quote:
Your eggs from the vB line are just about what I've gotten from my birds from that line. I do get some darker and some with speckles too. The lighter KC eggs are what I've gotten from my KC hens. The KC eggs ususally are a bit bigger than the vB, but very pale. The KC hens are more show type and very beautiful, but not dark layers.

Trisha

Great picture showing the range of egg colors. All you need are some Welsummer eggs and you've got the whole range
smile.png

HappyChooks~

I hope your reading this..........................STEPHANIE LAID HER FIRST EGG TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

The color is almost identical to that of a first Welsummer egg and rather pale, but near the smaller end of the egg you can see where she tried her little heart out to paint it with more color. I think they will get darker over the next couple of weeks. Now I can't wait for more.
ya.gif

Not the greatest picture but here it is.
I think that I scared her when I opened the coop door to feed, she was sitting in the nest box, I didn't want to disturb her, so I left. The next thing I knew, I close the door and she runs out into the run....and oop there it was......right out on the mucky rainy semi muddy ground, of course.
smile.png

11170_1st_barnie_egg.jpg

Last edited:
I have finally managed to read through this entire thread. Now that I have, I can safely say I'm more than a little nervous about finding someone who sells hatching eggs. Quite a few of the posts revolved around breeders selling mutts.

Is anyone here selling standard Barnevelder hatching eggs this year? I had the breed last year and really enjoyed them, but they were out of Ideal's lines and I wasn't at all impressed with the quality so I got rid of them, thinking it'd be pretty easy to find a breeder who had nicer stock (after all, if a hatchery has them then they're pretty common, right? Yeah...sure...). I had given up on getting Barnevelders until I read this thread and saw all of the pictures. Now I want them again. So...time to start budgeting.

At that time I did a lot of research and wrote down the standard I could find from the disbanded Barnevelder club website. Is there a new club in the works?

Thanks Kansas and Chooks! Finally!

tls_ranch~ Do you think that the absence of this second pg gene that is restricting the lacing may be caused from the Welsummer in them? Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the first bird is a first generation cross from a Welsummer hen and Barnevelder roo, fact I found out this was the case later from the breeder. Her head and neck feathers texture, type and the heavier black coloring are that of a Barnevelder and the rest of her body she has the texture, type and coloring of a Welsummer, she lays the darkest eggs of all 3 of these mixed birds, her eggs are just like a Welsummer egg.
The other 2 birds are from unrelated lines as well and took on more of the Barnevelder body type and darker coloring and more lacing. They have the shafting in the breastand the shoulder area like that of the Welsummer, their lacing is somewhat interupted and not true lacing, more like the penciling of the Wyandotte. They are smaller in size than the first pullet and they lay an very light pale almost pinkish cream colored egg. I think that these birds are a couple of generations into some Barnevelders that had Welsummer somewhere in their background not too long ago, just not bred back long enough to acheive the true desired effects of the Barnevelder. So, if I wanted to bred these birds to see if I could improve the next generation and get more toward Barnvelder, I would try the last 2 birds photo'd with a pure Barnevelder rooster and see what happened, as they are the ones out of all of them that I kept that more closely resemble the Barnevelder? Thanks in advance.

She did it again.....laid her 2nd egg out in the coop run on the ground. It wasn't there when I walked by on my way down to feed the goats and niether was she, she was in the coop, but five minutes later I walk back up past the coop run and there it is. Silly girl, sits in the box till she is ready and then goes outside to lay it.
lol.png
I hope she figures it out.

Back
Top Bottom