Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I just set 8 barnevelder eggs and 4 half barnevelder eggs in the bator... hopefully I will have some good ones come out of the pure barnevelder eggs and the crosses should be interesting.

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

I almost never hear my rooster crow... every now and then I will hear him but it has been a while.
hmm.png

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

I almost never hear my rooster crow... every now and then I will hear him but it has been a while.
hmm.png

I have a 14 week old that started crowing this week and he sounds great, not too loud yet. Everytime I come around his run he crows and I tell him what a big boy he is. I was surprised when that he started so soon. I have a Barred Rock Rooster that is about 20 weeks and not a peep from him yet.

Love my little Barnie Roo. He is the sweetest of all 22 of mine. Loves to sit in my lap and be held!

Soon?
lau.gif
My welsummer rooster started crowing at 4 DAYS old.

Mine are about 16 or so weeks, so I've been waiting for them to get going. 9 cockerels, but so far have only heard one of them crow.

Okay so guess which one of these chicks started crowing last week at 6 weeks old

82626_trio.jpg

the one on the far right!!!! I thought he was a SHE!!!!

Mine are 8 weeks today! Yay babies! (er, yay tweeners!) No crowing yet. I've got 4 roos and 4 pullets. I've got to take some pics!! It's been 4 weeks. Some are feathering out with lighter lacing, some with a more burgundy tone. Any idea how they eventually feather out as adults?

Ok so all my barnevelders have laid their eggs for today and my best hen is back in their usual "nesting spot" ( They refuse to use the nest boxes
roll.png
) and she ruffles up her feathers and makes this clucking sound almost like she is growling whenever someone opens up the coop. Could she possibly be on the verge of going broody ? We recently made two new brooding boxes, one smaller that would be for newborns to a few weeks old, and a much larger one for teenagers or a broody hen. I would love to try and move her in there if she goes broody, however, I have never had much luck with broodys' so some help would be great. For instance how would I go about moving her over there ? It has a light built in there that can be turned on or off. Should I leave her in complete darkness or should I turn the light on ? I have heard that barnevelders are supposed to be great mothers is this true ? My last broody hen had one chick hatch and she pecked it to death at about a month old ( the hen was a black sex link )

My 2 Barnevelders went broody together. I left them with the flock, which I would never do again. Despite the interruptions, they diligently sat on the nest for a total of 5 weeks. (0ne week before I gave them hatching eggs, 3 weeks for a normal hatch, and then another week while I agonized over grafting chicks under them.
he.gif
) They were great mothers, once they had the chance. (They only rejected one chick immediately, for which I blame myself for waiting so long to graft the chicks. The chicks were a week old when I grafted them. Younger chicks are better. )

Then, they protected and taught those chicks (and gave them rides on their backs) for the next 10 weeks. I couldn't have asked for more.

Quote:
The one chick my daughter is holding tightly with grey chest looks like its a Roo. So its looking like I have 3 roo's & 1 hen at 4wks. Anyone wanting a Roo or 2? Local pick up. I can't have any. This grey chest was very black down the back & is feathering out shiny greenish black, very pretty. Wish I could keep him but not happening on this small lot.

Shannon

The grey chest is side body.
65421_dsc01341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom