Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I was kinda thinking the same thing that 1 of them (the different one) maybe had welsummer, as she is quite different from the rest...Here's a pic of the others.
99437_barnevelders_007.jpg

Thanks:) I have another pullet a bit younger that looks like she's going to be about the same color and lacing
celebrate.gif
. I also have a single-laced blue pullet and a very dark blue double-laced pullet. For breeding this fall, I'll have the four second gen. blue pullets, a blue cockerel and one F1 blue hen (the best).

Trisha

It's been a while since I updated y'all with some pics of my Barnevelders, and we had a hot and sunny day today. So I got the camera out and took some pics.

Our new brooder box, part of a set this one is for newborns~a few weeks old.
15667_100_6723.jpg

With a few modifications, it is suitable for incubation
big_smile.png
There is a bakers dozen barnevelder eggs in there from my locally acquired stock. due in 2.5 weeks.
15667_100_6745.jpg

Seven Eggs from locally acquired stock and four Half barnevelder/Half Barred Rock eggs (Just for fun and some additions to the egg layer flock) Due this weekend.
15667_100_6747.jpg

My best roo from locally acquired stock.
15667_100_6737.jpg

My best hen from Locally acquired stock.
15667_100_6739.jpg

With a close up of her lacing.
15667_100_6736.jpg

6.5 week old hen from Shipped Eggs ( mix of KC and another line )
15667_100_6729.jpg

Group shot of 5 out of 8 6.5 weeks old.
15667_100_6730.jpg

Well, I'm wide awake after the day I had. I'm officially out of breeding Barnevelders... I had Dutch stock too. Why you ask?

My _____ neighbor's dog killed them. I got two roosters left. Period. I'm out of Coronation Sussex too. Killed them, as well.

(yes, I'm looking for a bit of pitty)

Killed my Barnies and my Coros, a XW Barred Rock (pure line traced back to early 1900's), and a Delaware. All breeding stock... my utility birds were fine, of course. I'm about to throw in the towel.

yes, I called the cops and made a report. This is the third dog attack this month and today's kills bring it to over 30 birds dead. I just never had proof who's dogs it was until now. The other neighbors were witness to it this time. Anyways... just wanted to say... I have two dutch roos if anyone is interested... pick up only.

Quote:
Neighbor dogs are the worst predator. Once they kill they continue. In our area the law says that they will only reimburse the cost of another chick. So $2 a chicken is it!! Purported VALUE is not even a consideration. If you have probably cause, you can get a warrant and have the suspected dog's TEETH CHECKED. Often they will find chicken feathers still stuck in them. But it doesn't take much of a bite to pick up and shake a chicken to death.

They kill alpacas too. Dogs have devasted alpaca herds by shredding their leg tendons. That is why we fence to keep DOGS out. Not even worry about coyotes. Its the local DOGS that kill.

You certainly have my commisseration for your loss of your breeding stock. It is costly, but the only way to secure your stock is to fence the dogs OUT. Take care and I hope some breeders here come forward to help you replace your breeding stock when you are ready.

Bonnie from Clyde, OH

Quote:
Neighbor dogs are the worst predator. Once they kill they continue. In our area the law says that they will only reimburse the cost of another chick. So $2 a chicken is it!! Purported VALUE is not even a consideration. If you have probably cause, you can get a warrant and have the suspected dog's TEETH CHECKED. Often they will find chicken feathers still stuck in them. But it doesn't take much of a bite to pick up and shake a chicken to death.

They kill alpacas too. Dogs have devasted alpaca herds by shredding their leg tendons. That is why we fence to keep DOGS out. Not even worry about coyotes. Its the local DOGS that kill.

You certainly have my commisseration for your loss of your breeding stock. It is costly, but the only way to secure your stock is to fence the dogs OUT. Take care and I hope some breeders here come forward to help you replace your breeding stock when you are ready.

Bonnie from Clyde, OH

We use hot wire over reg fence on the coop & that helps alot. Our own dogs leave the chickens alone, took a few zaps & now I can just let the dogs & chickens out in the yard together but mine are 15-20lb dogs. Our yard is fully fenced with chainlink but our chickens do get put up at night. 3wks ago my mom brought her Aussie over, he stays in the front yard. My daughter called him to come in the back yard through the weak baby gate that blocks the front from the back yard. He found my baby chicks 4wks old. Luckily he didn't hurt it just played with it like a play toy. Freaked me out. I locked up all chickens & turned on the hotwire. This dog had been zapped before with a strong horse wire & he has big respect for hot wire my mom said. Had my daughter let him out, he was bouncing around the coop but didn't put his head down to the level we put the hotwire, meant for our dogs. So I had to be mean & push his nose to it. Boy did he freak, he ran to the back door of the house & was climbing the door trying to get in. I do think he got the message. I did take a tall x-pen & made that block the back yard from the front, its bungied & can't be knocked down, too tall for him to climb (not a climber).

I do have 1-3 Barnie roos 6-7wks that I can't keep (1 for sure huge comb & waddles, 2 others with small comb, 1 pullet with almost no comb). Came from show stock eggs. I don't know how to ship though.

Shannon

Back
Top Bottom