Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Hi, I've fallen in love with this breed, and had eggs shipped up from Erhard Weihs, one of the first people I found selling hatching eggs, and I also bought eggs from an ebay seller. The ebay auction was for 6 eggs, three were cracked and two made it to lockdown, they both hatched. The other eggs are in lockdown now, but we had an all day power outage yesterday and I'm not holding out much hope. I have one from those eggs hatched. Is someone here selling eggs? I'd really like to try again. I live in Alaska and there are no local breeders that I know of. Thank you!
Trisha might be, she has really pretty birds. I have 17 of her eggs in my incubator right now! To bad you are not closer to TX, I have 8 weeks old males and females I am trying to find homes for prior to my set of Trisha's hatching. They don't seem to be real popular down here in TX.

Hi all, I am sure it is on here somewere, but my computer hates byc, so let me ask: to make Silver Barnvelders:

Barny x SL Wyandotte or solid white Wyandotte = F1 (any opinion on SL vs Solid White?) (And better to breed barny roo or barny hens in this cross?)
Than what? F1 x F1 and see how F2 comes out or is it a breed back F1 x Barny?

Thanks!

I would not use solid white...to many hidden genes to deal with. If you have to use a Silver laced wyandotte then here is a basic "recipe".

1) Silver roo x Barnevelder hen= keep F1 silver pullets.

2) Barnevelder roo x silver pullets= keep a gold/silver split roo (hopefully a double laced cockerel with a solid breast)

3) Silver/Gold roo x F1 silver pullets= 12.5% will be silver double laced pullets, 12.5% will be silver double laced cockerels. Look for solid black breasts on the males and clean double laced females.

4) Cross the silver double laced offspring together until you reach the breed standard. This is where it would be handy to have mulitple project pens...so that you could avoid inbreeding.

The trick is to breed out the columbian from the single laced wyandotte (restricts lacing to single or incomplete) . You also have to breed out the rose comb.

Trisha

I hatched my first silver chipmunk yesterday, I will post a picture when I get a chance. I have about 24 more eggs from this pen in the incubator. These are from an F1, Blue, S/s rooster (sounds like a race car) on some of my best Barnie Hens. The pullets from this cross will be 50% silvers and the cockerels will be 50% splits. However since the rooster is E/eb I am also getting solid blacks and blues. I noticed one of the solid blue chicks is such a pure blue down color, I suspect it is a she and S/+, because I never saw such a pure blue in my solid blues from my blue line crosses that are all s/s or s/+. I will see how this chick develops and perhaps a pic of it too.

I am still collecting pure Johan line eggs for a few more weeks if anyone wants some, please email me offline.

Andy

I would not use solid white...to many hidden genes to deal with. If you have to use a Silver laced wyandotte then here is a basic "recipe".

1) Silver roo x Barnevelder hen= keep F1 silver pullets.

2) Barnevelder roo x silver pullets= keep a gold/silver split roo (hopefully a double laced cockerel with a solid breast)

3) Silver/Gold roo x F1 silver pullets= 12.5% will be silver double laced pullets, 12.5% will be silver double laced cockerels. Look for solid black breasts on the males and clean double laced females.

4) Cross the silver double laced offspring together until you reach the breed standard. This is where it would be handy to have mulitple project pens...so that you could avoid inbreeding.

The trick is to breed out the columbian from the single laced wyandotte (restricts lacing to single or incomplete) . You also have to breed out the rose comb.

Trisha
Thanks Trisha, this really helps. What would be the perfect out-cross to get silver? And do you know the difference if one were to use recesive white? Just curious.

I hatched my first silver chipmunk yesterday, I will post a picture when I get a chance. I have about 24 more eggs from this pen in the incubator. These are from an F1, Blue, S/s rooster (sounds like a race car) on some of my best Barnie Hens. The pullets from this cross will be 50% silvers and the cockerels will be 50% splits. However since the rooster is E/eb I am also getting solid blacks and blues. I noticed one of the solid blue chicks is such a pure blue down color, I suspect it is a she and S/+, because I never saw such a pure blue in my solid blues from my blue line crosses that are all s/s or s/+. I will see how this chick develops and perhaps a pic of it too.

I am still collecting pure Johan line eggs for a few more weeks if anyone wants some, please email me offline.

Andy

celebrate.gif
Can't wait to see pictures Andy:) Isn't it so exciting to see a color project develop?

Trisha

Last edited:
Quote: White is a very tricky to outcross with. You have to know what's hidding under the white and if the white bird is even silver based. The hidden base colors, pattern colors and modifiers could all through some weird results. If it's recessive white then you get with popping up down the line.

A silver pencilled breed would be the easiest. Andy and I both said to look at all the options when outcrossing...color, size, conformation and other traits in order to decide what you want to add. Then you have to breed out all the unwanted genes and traits to get back to a Barnevelder.

I tried to post this picture of chick down just as the site went down earlier today but will try again.

Here is my first silver project chick from the backcross (3/4 Barnie) next to a standard gold double laced Johan line chick for comparison.

Both chicks are eb/eb and the silver chick on the left is either S/s+ if a male or S/- if a female, The gold chick on the right is s+/s+ (if male) and s+/- (if female). I am not sure if there is any pattern in chick down that tells if they are Pg/pg or pg/pg or if they are Ml/ml or Ml/Ml, I will have to wait for adult plumage to see if they are double laced.

If the silver chick is also blue (Bl/bl) then it will show when the first primaries get a little longer. These are the known genetic variables I am dealing with in making this variety. I suspect there are some unknowns too!

I know there are leg color issues, with some of the F1 adult birds having very nice yellow legs and some having dusky legs and yellow feet, the dusky color is from the Blue Rocks that I used and it is a challenge especially with the females of that line. Luckily I have good leg color in my pure barnies. My blue project cockerels (3/4 Barnies) have nice leg color at about 10 weeks. I will also be watching for too light undercolor and white tail fluff, which my Barnies don't have but that has shown in some of the F1 roos.

Andy

Silver Project Chick on the left (3/4 Barnie) and Gold Double Laced Barnevelder on right

Back
Top Bottom