Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Hi everyone: I have a worming question.
I have never wormed my egg layers. I have 9 hens, a colorful mixed flock. I have never wormed them because I sell the eggs. They are 5 to 6 years old now. What should I worm them with? I saw an ad for a product that worms naturally and wouldn't stop the eggs from being eaten. Does it work? Verm-X?
These girls do get an hour each night out of the pen to forage and scratch around in the weeds. The laying is pretty good for old gals. Out of the 9, I usually get 5 or 6 eggs per day. What to do??? I tried pumpkin seeds. They didn't like them.
Aya
Aya,
You could take a fecal sample to a local vet to do a float test. It shouldn't cost to much and that way you know if you have a worm problem, before using chemical wormers. A fecal test will help to figure out what wormer to use too. Also, most people worm when the chickens aren't laying like during molt or before the pullets start laying. That way there isn't as big of issue with tossing eggs like during peak laying periods.

Trisha

Trisha

Andy, I think some BLR dottes have Mahogany, but I'm not sure if it effects the amount of red in the breast. The first few generations of my blue cockerels had some red in their breasts. But I took that to be because they had a copy of Columbian. Now, all of my blue cockerels have solid blue breasts because they've been crossed back to Barnevelder several times. My blue and pure males do have a tiny bit of red on the sides of their breasts and deep on the center of the down feather of the breast. But, other than that very little visible red shows on the breast.

One of my blue pullets is laying now, but I haven't caught her in the act yet. I would call her eggs darker than the average BV with good gloss too. She's laid 3 so far and the 3rd egg is really nice sized for a pullet.

I wish I could share some more pics of overseas barnies with laced breasts vs solid black, but our computer crashed and died ( I think forever this time). I'm using a borrowed lap top right now. I just hope we can salvage our pics off our old computer...It's been several months since we backed up any info on it.

Trisha

I can't wait until you all reach your ideal with the blue barnevelders. They are going be gorgeous (they already are!)

Can anyone direct me to standards that judges, and you in choosing your own birds, use for Barnevelders in the USA?

Hi Carolyn

I am not sure if I will be attending the Corvallis Swap, I may not have much to sell by late October and I am not buying anything right now, but of course it's fun to go and look and talk to others.   Even if I don't go you are welcome to come to the farm and see my birds and if you are interested in a blue laced pullet I could part with one since I have five and several blue roosters to get me through next year.  The girl pictured and the others will all be sold in the spring after breeding.

Your profile says Puget Sound are you coming all that way for the Chicken Swap?  I live about 15 minutes from the Fairgrounds where it is being held so if you want to visit let me know.   I have a lot of Johan pullets this year too and could be talked out of one or two.  They have been really nice and very consistent in type, and lacing and I am hoping for even better egg color this year.  

My blue birds are 3/4 Barnevelder and 1/4 blue Plymouth rock.  Both lines have great temperaments and besides the blue rocks bring better egg production which I hope to keep as I work towards improving lacing and type in these.  Their eggs look more like Barnevelder eggs than PR and that was the case even with the F1 pullets last year. 

Let me know and we can hookup.

Andy 

Hi Andy,
Yep, all the way from Bremerton! Call us crazy, but we enjoy these type of events and we're usually looking for an excuse to take the trailer for a spin! We went to the big show last fall and had a blast, so this year it's the swap. Besides DH went to OSU so it's like old home week for him. Then of course the coast isn't too far away.

I'd love to come by to see your flock! I'm not going to be taking home anyone new... I have just a tiny coop and my girl Betsy the Barnie filled my quota. But that doesn't stop me from drooling over all the other beautiful birds and yours definitely qualify! I'll PM you about meeting up. Thank you.

Carolyn

Thanks Trisha, will go to the Vet, see what to do.

KPenley: There is a "Standard of Perfection" for large fowl. Its a large book, but you can probably find it on the internet. You can look up Barnvelder there. That is what the judges will be looking for. Was that your question?
Aya

KPenley: There is a "Standard of Perfection" for large fowl. Its a large book, but you can probably find it on the internet. You can look up Barnvelder there. That is what the judges will be looking for. Was that your question?
Aya
Thank you so much Aya. Someone told me to find the American Club and that it would be there, but there is no American Barnevelder Club right now, lol.

What does it take to get a club going?

I'm guessing that we'd just need to start one :) but I sent off a note to the secretary of the APA just to check.

Also, the cream legbar group is kind of starting a club right now. Other than the standards, which could one day be useful in bring new color combinations to APA, their lead could be followed in terms of bylaws, leadership, etc.

Last edited:
I am waiting in anticipation. I have a Double Laced Blue Barnie trio and still no eggs. They look ready so I anxiously check they box each day. I need to learn patience.

Back
Top Bottom