Barnevelders and Marans: Looking for quality chicks

HighDesertHen

Hatching
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Hi everyone!
I am a new chickenkeeper, and want to add some Barnevelders and possibly Marans to my backyard flock.
This past week, I threw in the towel on my first hatch that yielded nary a chick.
hit.gif
So, I'm feeling unconfident about shipped eggs as a flock-growing strategy. I nevertheless really want to work with some high quality stock because (1) I really appreciate thoughtfully bred animals and (2) I would like to breed the same myself.
Problem is that I live in New Mexico, which is not exactly the epicenter of heritage bird breeding. I therefore think that acquisition of birds locally is unlikely.
Do any of you have suggestions or recommendations for people in the Barnevelder and Marans worlds who might be willing to ship chicks? And for those of you with similar aspirations and circumstances, how did you meet your goals.
Thanks!
Sibyl

Hi and welcome!
smile.png

There are a few people on here from New Mexico. I think WriterOfWords lives somewhere around Albuquerque... maybe it was Santa Fe... I don't remember. She may be able to help you find some local breeders.

Short of that, there's a lady on here with the username "Mediazeal" who breeds barnevelders and sells the eggs. She also breeds the marans you're looking for. Here is her website: http://chocolatechickens.com/

You
may have trouble getting someone to ship eggs during the hot summer months. For safety's sake, I'd recommend waiting until cooler weather comes before trying shipped eggs again.

Good luck to you!

I think with your altidude you will not have any luck with shipped eggs. I find it a waste of money unless you get your eggs local. It is not you. Its a fact based on your local.

I had two shipments this year from Sand Hills assortments that incuded 20 plus Barnevelders for $1.50 each.

There are certainly poultry breeders in New Mexico.

Go to the "where are you" thread and at the top is a note where it will locate your state's thread for you. Also go to the "Meet Ups" and look for poultry swaps in NM.

Go to any shows in your area, and if there are no shows, go to the fairs and look at poultry.

Serious breeders seem to be difficult to locate. They usually don't advertise. You can contact the APA and ask for the names of the breeders in your state.

Best luck in locating what you want.

Back
Top Bottom