Barnevelders waddles at 4 Weeks-sex?

Helymo

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
NKY
I know how much everyone loves these posts šŸ¤£ And I know itā€™s early so just scroll on past if you think itā€™s too early, but Iā€™m getting fairly concerned that both of our Barnevelder pullets are not pullets. Both of their combs are red at the base (but hoping that is a breed thing and not relevant since they are yellow at the tips šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤žšŸ¼). One already has waddles though and they are 4 weeks today. Both have lacing in their chest feathers that are coming in and Iā€™ve read they are supposed to be solid if Roos so Iā€™m praying thatā€™s correct and Iā€™m worrying over nothing šŸ™šŸ¼ Thoughts?

Attachments

• C95617BB-ADCE-4AB4-8A86-726EDE05025E.jpeg
    C95617BB-ADCE-4AB4-8A86-726EDE05025E.jpeg
    682.3 KB · Views: 125
With the lacing on the chest I think they are pullets, but I understand why you are questioning them. As long as those combs aren't red by 6 weeks I wouldn't worry. I've always had the chest come in black, not laced on male barnevelder.

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to hear šŸ¤£ Our cuckoo maran the same age has the same red under its yellow comb so I was worried 3 were Roos. Not enough hens to make more than one roo work!

Figured I should add to this post rather than make another. These two cuckoo marans (one golden, though they were both supposed to be golden) are from the same hatchery as the Barnevelders and the same age (just over 4 weeks now). The difference in combs is crazy and the one on the lefts comb looks just like both Barnevelders combs to give an example of the color difference. This is why Iā€™m scared we have three Roos šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø
385FC0E7-9096-4EF7-9B9E-25A3EFB2CA4D.jpeg

Figured I should add to this post rather than make another. These two cuckoo marans (one golden, though they were both supposed to be golden) are from the same hatchery as the Barnevelders and the same age (just over 4 weeks now). The difference in combs is crazy and the one on the lefts comb looks just like both Barnevelders combs to give an example of the color difference. This is why Iā€™m scared we have three Roos šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøView attachment 2680477
The silver cuckoo does look to be a cockerel šŸ˜” I suspect your golden cuckoo is the only pullet

The Barnevelders both look like cockerels to me :( I wouldn't trust the feather pattern this early. My Barnevelders from last year all had patterned chests, the males and the females, at this age. Their feather patterns were frustratingly similar when they were young. They only started to differentiate later on. Based on the combs and (especially) the wattles, I'd say boys.

The silver cuckoo does look to be a cockerel šŸ˜” I suspect your golden cuckoo is the only pullet
My thoughts exactly. We have 11 altogether (plus 3 guineas) but 3 Roos out of 11 is 2 too many šŸ˜” And all 11 were sold as day old pullets, though we understood the risk and likelihood of getting 1 roo. Still stinks. Fingers crossed weā€™re wrong about the Barnevelders šŸ˜‚ Will update!

Back
Top Bottom