Barnie/SPR mix...or purebred SPR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aurinia, Sep 27, 2015.

1. aurinia

aurinia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Was curious about one of my cockerels. When I got him, I was told he was a Barnevelder/Silver Penciled Rock cross. The older he gets, the more I think he looks like he's just SPR. Am I wrong? I know the woman I got him from was working on breeding silver laced barnevelders using SPR's so I just assumed he was a cross from that project. He's around 20 weeks old right now; these pics are from this morning. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He could be pure bred, but he just may not be expressing any of the barnvelder. I personally don't see any of the barnvelder.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

5. aurinia

Apr 25, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Thank you all! Maybe I'll look into getting him a couple of girls the same breed in the spring, then. He's really got an awesome personality. :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think he's pure Rock. If he had Barnie blood, I'd expect some gold leakage and some messy patterning.

7. aurinia

Apr 25, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Thank you! Maybe I'll get some better pics of him and post over in one of the breed-specific threads to see if the experts think he's nice enough to start a small breeding program with (I'm very new to all this so haven't a clue how he holds up against the breed standard). Does anyone have any suggestions on who I might be able to buy SPR hatching eggs from in the spring? I know they're fairly rare...

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would definitely go to the Rock thread(s) and research around a bit. I know we had some silver penciled breeders on here, but names are escaping me at the moment (shocker, I know [​IMG]).

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Donrae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by