Barnie/SPR mix...or purebred SPR?

aurinia

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Upstate NY
Was curious about one of my cockerels. When I got him, I was told he was a Barnevelder/Silver Penciled Rock cross. The older he gets, the more I think he looks like he's just SPR. Am I wrong? I know the woman I got him from was working on breeding silver laced barnevelders using SPR's so I just assumed he was a cross from that project. He's around 20 weeks old right now; these pics are from this morning. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

He could be pure bred, but he just may not be expressing any of the barnvelder. I personally don't see any of the barnvelder.

Thank you all! Maybe I'll look into getting him a couple of girls the same breed in the spring, then. He's really got an awesome personality. :)

Thank you! Maybe I'll get some better pics of him and post over in one of the breed-specific threads to see if the experts think he's nice enough to start a small breeding program with (I'm very new to all this so haven't a clue how he holds up against the breed standard). Does anyone have any suggestions on who I might be able to buy SPR hatching eggs from in the spring? I know they're fairly rare...

I would definitely go to the Rock thread(s) and research around a bit. I know we had some silver penciled breeders on here, but names are escaping me at the moment (shocker, I know
roll.png
).

Back
Top Bottom