Barred Plymouth Rocks - 5 weeks - please be girls!

EccaChook

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Hi All,

Well, the "girls" are 5 weeks old tomorrow and I'm still not sure if we have boys or girls (I'm really hoping you're all going to say girls!). Would love your thoughts please!!

xxx :D Happy Friday to everyone!

Very nice chickens!

Unfortunately, they look like they are all roosters. Its a little early to be sure, so don't give up hope yet.
smile.png
I've been wrong before when trying to guess chicken genders.

I hate to admit but I'm thinking the same thing GitaBooks! :( I really hope I'm wrong though...I bought 10 chicks (4 x BPR, 4 x Belgium Bantams, 2 x BLG Wyndottes) - so far I have one confirmed hen and 9 boys!!!! :( :( :(

One time we got 6 pullets and 4 straight run (so should be two roosters and two hens, right?) Barred Rocks. In the end we got 8 roosters and 2 pullets!

Sometimes I wonder if its not some scheme to get rid of the males the breeders can't sell. LOL
tongue.png

They all look like pullets to me. At 5 weeks most barred rock cockerels are redder in the comb area.

They all look like pullets to me. At 5 weeks most barred rock cockerels are redder in the comb area.

X2
I'd keep my eye on the one in front and one on the left for another few weeks though. They look a little "lighter" than the other 2. Male barred Plymouth rocks white stripes are thicker than their black stripes making them look lighter in color.

Very nice chickens!

Unfortunately, they look like they are all roosters. Its a little early to be sure, so don't give up hope yet.
smile.png
I've been wrong before when trying to guess chicken genders.

We must be looking at two totally different groups of chickens - none of these birds look like 5 week old BR cockerels the only one who's patterning is at all questionable would be the one to the far left.

Oh, I guess I could be wrong.
I just know I raised Barred Rocks and we were suppose to have 6 girls and we got 6 boys. They didn't look that much like roosters until we separated them from our dominant rooster.

Hi All, Well, the "girls" are 5 weeks old tomorrow and I'm still not sure if we have boys or girls (I'm really hoping you're all going to say girls!). Would love your thoughts please!! xxx :D Happy Friday to everyone!
The first one a pullet the second a rooster, the 3 maybe a pullet the 4 pullet.

Oh my goodness - maybe there's hope yet!!!
wee.gif
I'd be so happy if they're girls - even 3 pullets and 1 rooster would be better than 4 roosters!!! Thank you guys so much! I'll keep you posted over the next couple of weeks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom