Barred rock chicks. Who wants to take a guess for me!?

LauraG

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Upstate, NY
I got 2 Barred Rock chicks at the feedstore on the same day. They are supposed to be pullets.

They are 2 weeks and 3 days old. They are growing at different rates. "Dotttie" is feathering in much quicker than "Delilah". Dottie is larger than Delilah as well.

I thought at first because "Delilah" was in a bad spot for 2 days and I thought I may loose her. But I nursed her and prayed & she is doing so well now! The barred rocks both kinda rule the roost over the other chicks (although the BO puts up a pretty good chest bump....)

Tell me what you think. I realize they are probablly too young to be accurate, but I have my suspicions.......

Delilah 1:
54076_delilah3.jpg

54076_delilah5.jpg

Dottie 2:
54076_dottie5.jpg

54076_dottie3.jpg

BOTH:Dottie left, delilah-rt
54076_dottiel_delilahrt.jpg

54076_dottiel_delilah.jpg

Any guesses?????

I'm going to "guess" two pullets. Google sexing BR. They females will have a distinct, sharp white spot on their heads. The males will have a blurry spot, smear or racing stripe. Also, when they start feathering out, the males will be a lighter colored grey than the females who will show more black/white.

Hope this helps!

The head spot looks good for pullets as does the barring (although there really isn't much there). Also, I think that the dark stripes on the legs might be a good sign for pullets too.

If you look at how they are feathering out. One has her tail feathers and the other does not. As well with the wings one has more then the other. So I will say a pair.

Quote:
I know, thats what makes me suspicious........those lack of tailfeathers!!! oh nooooo
They were exactley the same size when I got them........

Roosters feather in with a lot more white. (ETA: Usually - there are always exceptions)

Here's a boy for your comparison:
IMG_1790.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom