Barred rock. Girl or boy?

mama24

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
GSO, NC
I picked this one b/c I thought it was a girl. Then the manager (who was a complete jerk, btw, through the whole experience. I will not be going there again for anything, including feed for my other animals! I could write a whole other post on that experience, so I won't go into it here.) Anyway, the jerk told me that they were all roosters. I said why on earth would they send all roosters? And he says they already sold all of the pullets and only roos were left. He guaranteed that the one I picked was a boy based on the wing feathers.
roll.png
Which, btw, are 2 different lengths, so even if these chicks WERE feather sexable, he'd still be wrong! Anyway, here it is. Please tell me I made a good choice! LOL!

Well, in the first picture it looks as though you have a bright light shining down on it, which may be what is causing it to look lighter. Is the white spot on the top of the head pretty distinct? Or is it very diffuse?

The chick is very black with a distinct white spot on its head. The spot is kinda big, but the ones in the bin with smaller head spots had no black on their legs at all. A lot of them were also lighter black if that makes sense. This one was one of the black black ones. :) If I'm wrong, that's ok, but he'll most likely be invited for dinner eventually. :(

The first pic, the chick was in direct sunlight. It's overexposed, took with my phone. The chick is very dark. :)

I bought 2 barred rocks a couple weeks back and both were very dark/black, had small spots on their head and both had dark legwash and one of them is turnin out to be a girl and ones turnin out to be a boy so you just never really know.

Back
Top Bottom