Barred rock.. hen or roo??

88heather

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Black Forest, CO
We got 6 chicks.. all "supposed" to be hens.. Well. Our 2 buff chickens are now crowing all day.. Funny b/c the buff chicks weren't the chicks we were suspicious of from day one!

Here's our barred rock chick Terri.. (the lighter Barred rock with bigger comb waddles) The chickens are about 18 weeks old so we are getting close to time for our first egg! Can't wait!!!

I really really hope Terri is a she and not a he.. but based on looks.. i'm afraid Terri is a roo!

Terri is NOT crowing.. and our favorite chicken b/c she/he will fly on your shoulder if you go in the run and sit down.. You can see our other Barred rock chicken in the pic and I'd say definite Hen for that one.. she is darker.. much smaller comb/waddles. If Terri is a roo.. that would put us with 3 roosters and 3 Hens!

I guess I"ll find out soon enough???
roll.png

I'll go and take more pics so ya'll can see a better profile with tail feathers..

Here's Terri... roo or hen??

CIMG0752.jpg

Terri next to Chirpy (Buff Rooster).. You can see the other barred rock hen Bloo.. looks way different than Terri..

CIMG0759.jpg

Terri and Chirpy .. Terri has bigger comb waddles that Chirpy our Rooster that is crowing .. Can a hen have bigger comb/waddles than a rooster at this age? (18weeks old)

CIMG0758.jpg

Lastly.. you can see Bloo.. our Barred rock hen.. she looks so different than Terri..

CIMG0756.jpg

I'll go get a full body profile of Terri to show ya'll.. Can it be possible Terri is a hen?? I know I just saw a chicken on this site that looked like this and layed an egg on in I got my first egg thread??

Really hoping I don't have 50% roosters b/c then I'll be researching how to add new hens to our flock and which rooster will have to get packing papers.. 2 roosters is MORE than plenty.. I don't want 3!!! Chirpy is probably the meanest of them.. so Chirpy would get the packing papers first.. sad to say.
sad.png

she looks like a he to me too.. Maybe I'm in denial.. but i just saw a thread here with a hen that looks a lot like Terri/y
lol.png
that laid an egg.. Wonder if I can find that thread.. that thread gave me hope!
lol.png

I found that thread.. but looking at it again this hen is darker than Terri/y..

Oh boy.. i have a feeling I'm going to be researching how to introduce new chickens to my flock after Chirpy gets the packing papers.. sigh.. We love Terri. our other rooster is Goldy and alpha chicken.. I want more than 3 to lay us eggs.. I wonder if we should look into chicks to introduce or possibly buying an older hen?? hmmmmmmm?

here's that thread with a pic of the hen with big red comb/waddles that gave me hope.. but she is darker hmmmm?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=237641

Back
Top Bottom