Barred Rock -- Male or Female?

BerrytangleFarm

British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Six weeks old. Pink in the face, but dark down the front of the legs and a darker color......

73631_barred_rock.jpg

You have a girl. Barred Rocks are Sex-Linkable. Females have thicker black barring, males have thicker white barring. Females have more black on their legs, males have more yellow. Also, at this stage a boy would have a larger comb, and a thicker body type.

Quote:
So, is your white one a sex-link rooster like mine? This silly boy escaped with his step-brother, a buff orp roo, but unlike his smarter counterpart, he's still free ranging in the blackberry bushes, unwilling to come out enough to be captured while the orp found his way back to the coop and was waiting to be let in this morning!

Quote:
Thank you. I saw all the other girl traits but was confused with so much pink on her face. It is true that the sex-link roo behind her in the pic is the same age and has much more to show for it.

Quote:
So, is your white one a sex-link rooster like mine? This silly boy escaped with his step-brother, a buff orp roo, but unlike his smarter counterpart, he's still free ranging in the blackberry bushes, unwilling to come out enough to be captured while the orp found his way back to the coop and was waiting to be let in this morning!

I honestly don't know what any of mine are. We bought them from a local feed store & the guys there couldn't tell us anything about them or the local girl who they buy their day-week old chicks from... I have been trying to find out but the over all consensus is either some type of ee/barnyard mix or sex-link... He is a rooster for sure though! We heard him crow for the first time this morning...

But does my black w/ white spot baby look like yours or just a ee/barnyard mix? I am dying to find out what we have, they are so sciddish whenever we are around...

Quote:

I honestly don't know what any of mine are. We bought them from a local feed store & the guys there couldn't tell us anything about them or the local girl who they buy their day-week old chicks from... I have been trying to find out but the over all consensus is either some type of ee/barnyard mix or sex-link... He is a rooster for sure though! We heard him crow for the first time this morning...

But does my black w/ white spot baby look like yours or just a ee/barnyard mix? I am dying to find out what we have, they are so sciddish whenever we are around...

Your black and white chicks are barred in coloration. (Barring is Sex-Linkable, so you can determine their gender by their coloration) They appear to not have a single comb, so chances are they are Dominiques.

Back
Top Bottom