Barred Rock or Black Sex Linked Roo?

Quote:
If I breed him to the barred rocks I have? No, I won't be showing. Not ready for that
smile.png
He isn't going anywhere, my husband treats him like a pet
smile.png

Red&Yellow :

It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between chick barred Rocks and male black sex links. Unless, of course, you make your own with a golden-laced Wyandotte as the sire
big_smile.png
cuz then the sex link would have a rosecomb!

The comb is by no means sex-linked..
If you cross a Wyandotte rooster over a Barred Rock hen you could get all rose comb or you could get some single comb on both the cockerels and pullets..

Chris​

Very handsome fella. I thought mine was a pullet for a while too. Thanks to the forum, I found out otherwise. I got 5 birds and ended up with 3 roos. Oh well, They found a home today so now I just have him and the 3 BR girls.

Quote:
Not necessarily.

If that rooster is out of a Black Rooster and a Barred Hen you are not going to get any red chicks..

I also will say IF he is a Sex-Link (which I believe he is) you will not be able to use him in a Sex-link breeding...
• 1 - Sex-Links are a one time deal
• 2 - The is no Sex-link breeding that uses a Barred Rooster...

Chris

All of these crosses get confusing. I am trying to figure out how to do my flock and I am planning my next bunch of pullets and want to add a rooster and these crosses are making me crazy.

Quote:
If I breed him to the barred rocks I have? No, I won't be showing. Not ready for that
smile.png
smile.png

If you breed him to a Barred hen you should get all barred offspring...

Chris

You will see the teal in a BR but not the orange that you see. Also the barring is severly skewed on that roo. The barring on a BR would be a lot cleaner.

Quote:
smile.png
smile.png

If you breed him to a Barred hen you should get all barred offspring...

Chris

So if I did have some chicks with this roo and the pure BR hens, in the future, I would just call them barred rocks? Or would they be some type of "hybrid"? I am so confused.
Thanks so much for all the help. This is more complicated that I thought, and I used to raise parrots
smile.png

You cannot call them Barred Rocks when you breed the sexlink hybrid to another breed. They would look like very bad quality Barred Rocks and would really be just barnyard mutts then.

No, you won't get any red chicks from this rooster with a BR hen.

Back
Top Bottom