Barred Rock over cx hen OR cornish hen

That's a really good looking boy there!You plan on breeding to his sisters that look like him?

Unfortunately we had to put him in the freezer, as he had leg issues. I didn't get any pullets like him. The girls were all black and just one splash. I kept four and hatched out a lot of chicks from them this summer.
black pullets - blue-cornish.JPG

What kind of care do they need as far as how they are being raised?Do you treat them like BR or CX?
If that makes sense
View attachment 1566185
3rd generation... mixed heritage roo over cx hen (townline hatchery)... white are about 1/2 lb heavier in breast meat than barred. barred are about 5lbs dressed at 16 wks...Heritage barred is about 3 1/2lbs at 16 weeks.. Blk have been hens that lay well

What kind of care do they need as far as how they are being raised?Do you treat them like BR or CX?
If that makes sense
I feed fermented feed 2x a day and free range them with the layers and turkeys. (which is what I did with the cx hen to keep her alive long enough to lay eggs)
The f1 hen (1/2 cx) just died last week at 2 yrs old, internal laying...one of her brothers is still alive, one died this spring from water belly and the third was not liked by the hens so he went in the pressure cooker this summer.

Good information, thanks!
I feed fermented feed 2x a day and free range them with the layers and turkeys. (which is what I did with the cx hen to keep her alive long enough to lay eggs)
The f1 hen (1/2 cx) just died last week at 2 yrs old, internal laying...one of her brothers is still alive, one died this spring from water belly and the third was not liked by the hens so he went in the pressure cooker this summer.

Back
Top Bottom