Barred Rock Plummage?

Bullgetter

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2021
Hi guys first time posting in here. We just got chickens this spring and we are trying our best to absorb all the knowledge that is out there. In early May we purchased 7 Barred rock that were supposed to be 4 months and that they originated from a hatchery. 2 of those have turned out to be roosters. The bigger of the 2 roos is obviously dominant over his lighter brother. In fact we thought he was a pullet as he was dark like our hens. In the last month he has developed red/yellow streaks on his hackles and a red feather on one wing. At this point thinking he is not full Barred Rock and has some mystery genes in him. Curious if this coloration is normal. if it is common I am guessing it not preferred to see in the line. Hoping to hatch from these guys next Spring and I want to keep them "pure" barred rocks.
IMG_7759.JPG

Looks like it may be a BSL cockerel. The other bird looks like a CM.

Both birds in the pic have SLM. You may want to research that and treat it.

BSL was my guess from my research. He chased the kids the other day so his days might be numbered.
The hen in the upper apart of the pic does have a slight yellow hue on her hackles and her barring seems off. Picture does not show it all that well.
This secondView attachment 2776623 roo is the smaller brother that looks typical BR
IMG_7763.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG

I bought these birds from a gentleman that received them from a local hatchery. He was trying to tell me the light colored birds were pullets and the darks were cockerals. I had to correct him but the website he was looking at had it backwards. I knew i had one roo with the lighter fella but the big guy was nice and dark. Of course 2 weeks later their combs and waddles exploded past the ladies. Brought them home at around 4 months and they are near 7 months now

The dark cockerel is a barred rock mix, as is the pullet with leakage in her hackles. The lighter cockerel and the other hens pictured are cuckoo marans.

Back
Top Bottom