Barred Rock Plummage?

These two pullets are “the twins” purchased same place but they were a month younger. So we purchased 7 chickens in all from the same fellow.
BB5D9B17-7FAB-4EA7-A95D-C3EA5035FF61.jpeg
3EF752E3-75C0-4B28-8849-69F9B393AF9F.jpeg

These two pullets are “the twins” purchased same place but they were a month younger. So we purchased 7 chickens in all from the same fellow.View attachment 2777140View attachment 2777139
I was wrong, those both look like purebred barred rocks. I guess I miscounted.
I’m guessing your going mainly by leg color?
Yes, and the fact that one of the other hens has silver leakage in her hackles. Purebred barred rocks wouldn’t have that extra silver (white). Also, purebred barred rocks don’t have any feathers on their legs.

Last edited:
I was wrong, those both look like purebred barred rocks. I guess I miscounted.

Yes, and the fact that one of the other hens has silver leakage in her hackles. Purebred barred rocks wouldn’t have that extra silver (white). Also, purebred barred rocks don’t have any feathers on their legs.
The one hen in first pic had some feathers stuck to her leg. Defiantly no feathers growing in the leg

Not having the right leg color for a barred rock does not automatically make them a cuckoo Marans. It is more likely that if they were purchased from a hatchery as barred rock that they are just poorly bred or a little mixed. Add leg feathers and dark brown eggs then it might be time to see if barred rocks were ordered or if it was someone other than the hatchery that claimed they were barred rocks.

Not having the right leg color for a barred rock does not automatically make them a cuckoo Marans. It is more likely that if they were purchased from a hatchery as barred rock that they are just poorly bred or a little mixed. Add leg feathers and dark brown eggs then it might be time to see if barred rocks were ordered or if it was someone other than the hatchery that claimed they were barred rocks.
That’s why I said the pullet with leakage in her hackles and the dark cockerel with leakage were both barred rock mixes rather than cuckoo marans.

Well, the guy who sold you this flock got them from a hatchery, which means they're all kinds o fmixed up. That's how you have a mixed flock of BR, BSL and possibly Cuckoo Marans. I mean, look at the barring on the one pullet.... its horrible. Hatchery quality, while never good, has really been going down hill imo. Some of the birds they're passing off as a given breed look like they may be a couple of generations separated from that breed.

Back
Top Bottom