Barred Rock rooster or hen???

I'm telling you I hatched 4 crosses this year and this 1st pictuire the left chick is a hen

thanks...i am just so mad that the man that sold them to me said they were all sexed BR pullets!!!!
Yea, no. He may be new to hatching chicks, but most people who have BR's know that they're able to be sexed at birth - as are their offspring, whether they're pure or mixed. So, either way, if he thought they were pure or if he knew they were mixed, he should have been able to make a good guess at their sex.

I hatched out 6 mixed babies this year and sexed them all accurately and they were the first I had ever tried to sex.

I still think it could be a hen..... the tail carriage and darker striping small feet seems to say hen... though it is entirely possible it is a late blooming roo.............. but all mine looked exactly the same in color, until the boys got the bluish teal sheen in the tail feathers after there initial 6 month molt they had a few brown feathers as well in the necks the girls did not.... my crosses were BR hen/ Delaware Roo
and BSL hen Del Roo........... these do seem lighter with different type of striping narrower banding maybe, and the white legs make me think Dominique.......... so does the striping, but Doms have rose combs I think or cushion combs can't remember off hand......... If the Op can wait a few more weeks with that 1 I would wait and see, if not then see if the breeder will take them back in exchange for definite hens.........problem being if they will do it, I have come across several threads where people were sold Roosters as hens just because........ they could get rid of them, when called back no one home......... ya know what I mean............. and some are way obvious roosters at 15 weeks....... Now on this Hennyrooster deal......... LOL I do not see hackle feathers I do not see saddle feathers, they are apparent on the other 2.......... so I'm still sticking with hen.......... Please let me know I would be very interested to see if it crows or squats.......Kim

Last edited:
if you click on that first photo of the two you can see the small skinny feathers by the tail on both of them

We had a Craig's Lister this year in my area who apparently bought all males from a hatchery (as males are cheaper) and sold them on Craig's list as pullets for more. I wouldn't have know except for the bycer who had bought some asked on my states thread about them They had bought 20 pullets only to end up with 20 young men. Some people are just mean and out for a buck. The best thing you can do is to research the breeds you want before buying so that you know what to look for and all. Or you can hang out here to see what people say and try guessing your self. I have done this and learned alot about breeds I don't have. Its also fun and I have been able to help others on here or in person at flock swaps and auctions. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

ok people...thanks for all your help.....i will wait it out...(as i have no where to go with these roosters!!!!)...but they must go!!!....i called and mailed the person who sold them to me from craigslist...this is what he said....."I DO NOT OWN OR HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE POULTRY ANYMORE !!!! nobody can be 100% on young birds . ive tried to contact kelly . she hasnt been returning my email . i dont know if shes in business. there was no misrepresentation of such . im sorry its a chance anyone takes when buying young poultry . roosters would have a much larger cone on there head . these do not have it ."

Back
Top Bottom