Barred Rock Silkie cross?

audrey02026

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dedham, Ma
Hello,

I just picked up two more babies One is supposed to be a Silkie/frizzle cross, the other a barred Rock Silkie Cross. I was wondering if u could tell how old they are. Also the Barred Rock looks like a normal Barred Rock chick to me except it has five toes. When it gets older will it have more silkie traits or because the dad was a barred rock will it have his feathers? best guess on age would be appreciated.

83885_img_5497.jpg

Silkie feathers are recessive, meaning it takes two genes for "no barbs" to produce them. The silkie/br chick will have BR feathers but likely have some light feathering on its legs and get a bit of a crest and beard (if the mom is bearded).

Yeah the ten days sounds about right the lady said they were all between a few days and three weeks. The two I have looked about two weeks to me. The barred rock doesn't have any feathers on his feet yet...will he get them later or is it one of those things that if he doesn't now then he wont?

i know you said barred rock but ...years ago in barnyard breeding my bantie dominics bred with white silkies..results were beautiful. some had dark skinned,some light, some straight feathering & others the silkie fluff.....i sold off all but a few favorite hens..i still get some barred silkie chicks every now & then... years later one older hen is left & this yr has crossed bred with st. white cochin...unbelievable beautiful chicks..all are gray (blue?) barred with white ranging from very light to dark..feathering on legs isnt the best ,some carry 5th toe,all light skinned. each hatching is a surprise to me even after all these years. sometimes the so called mutts are the most beautiful perfect chicken.

Ok so she is getting bigger and looks like she may have a bit more silkie look to her than I thought. Her head kind of puffy and her tail feathers as well. I think she will be interesting when she gets all her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom