Barred Rock thread!!

Pics
this is a better pic of there comb

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any wisdom regarding Lucky, the barred pullet in the picture. She (please confirm sex) is almost half the size of the others her age (around 11 weeks). She eats, drinks, runs around with her crew. She is not as fast as they are at full speed.

Do I need to worry about her, or is she just a runt? Could it be a hatchery problem? I got her at Atwoods when they had full rebates on assorted heavies. I have only one male or of the four from there. Pretty good odds.
LL
[/URL]

I have these 2 barred rock pullets that are 13 weeks old. One of them this last week or so has a red face and these long tail feathers popping out. Everything still seems like she's a girl as far as her coloring and black wash legs. Is this a normal part of maturing? My other pullet same age is very light in the face and no long tail feathers.

I have these 2 barred rock pullets that are 13 weeks old. One of them this last week or so has a red face and these long tail feathers popping out. Everything still seems like she's a girl as far as her coloring and black wash legs. Is this a normal part of maturing? My other pullet same age is very light in the face and no long tail feathers.
Yes, it is normal - some turn red earlier than others. Our 4 BR pullets started to lay at 20 weeks, within a week from each other. But their faces turned red at different times. I think they are capable of laying earlier than 20 weeks, but ours had lots of stress coming from 7 young roosters that were not separated, and they had some heat stress for a few weeks. When that ended, they started laying, and one of them never skipped a day since :) The other 3 are laying 5-6 eggs per week.

This is Rinky...I think she thinks she is a dog or something. She jumps up and down in the run waiting for you to come in to see her and then she jumps up on your knee and straight to your shoulder and will lay down be just as content as can be. The other day I got this pic of her on my husbands head. she decided she needed to lay down there and get cumfy. I have never seen a chicken so friendly in all my life. She just waits for you to come see her....so wierd.

This is Rinky...I think she thinks she is a dog or something. She jumps up and down in the run waiting for you to come in to see her and then she jumps up on your knee and straight to your shoulder and will lay down be just as content as can be. The other day I got this pic of her on my husbands head. she decided she needed to lay down there and get cumfy. I have never seen a chicken so friendly in all my life. She just waits for you to come see her....so wierd.
Lol. Very cute. I've learned this also back fires. Mine will jump on me and get mud, poop whatever's on her feet all over me. :) when they are full grown they scare the heck out if me when they come from nowhere and land on you. :) still its fun hanging with the flock.

Lol. Very cute. I've learned this also back fires. Mine will jump on me and get mud, poop whatever's on her feet all over me.
smile.png
when they are full grown they scare the heck out if me when they come from nowhere and land on you.
smile.png
still its fun hanging with the flock.
Yeah I told my husband that it wont be that cute when she is full grown...LOL

As a new chicken mom, I am happy to have found the Barred Rock thread. We have 3 BRs and 3 EEs. The BRs are definitely our favorites as they are so friendly and affectionate. We never expected to enjoy our ladies this much!

Back
Top Bottom