Barred Rock with lump by ear and lethargic

phillyfarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
Hey All,

I posted a topic the other day about my Barred Rock being lethargic. I thought it was because she was the culprit in eating another chicken. I am still unclear if she was the one who did the damage. Anyway, I notice a lump by her ear. Some say it is the lobe others say it is the upper part of the waddles. All I know is it is the piece of red between ear hole and waddles. It is swollen on the one side. I felt it and it is squishy but there kinda feels like there is something in there. I have given her some yogurt as to which she isnt really eating any of it. I have her in a seperate run that the other chickens. I opened the door to let her and the one that was bitten up out of sick back. She dragged herself out of the run and is just sitting there in the grass. Her pooh is greenish yellowish. I felt her crop and it seems fine. It isnt too large or too small. But I guess it is on the bigger size for her if she has not eaten much.

I made her a mixture this morning of yogurt, thyme, black pepper, cloves and a little oregano. It is suppose to help so I read. She wouldnt eat it. I layed her down and put some in her mouth. She just layed there feet sticking up in the air and eyes closed. I stroked her throat hoping she would swallow the yogurt mixture and she finally did. I waiting to see if she would turn her self right side up and she didnt so then I did it for her. She is just sitting there with her eyes closed in the yard.

I can not run to tractor supply it is too far for antibiodics. Can I crush up human antibiodics? Does anyone even think that would work?

Any suggestions? THanks!

She is laying in the yard. Then she stands for a bit then she will take a few steps and lay down to rest again. I am not sure if she is trying to get to the coop or the tree line.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what is going on with her? I checked out previous posts and while I found some wtih other chicks that had swollen ear lobes they do not exhibit the same symptoms.

Any suggestions?

Green/yellow poop is usually a sign that a chicken is very sick, most likely a bacterial infection of some sort. She will need a powerful antibiotic...baytril, in combination with probiotics such as the type used for parrots, buttermilk, poultry nutri drench all mixed together as a slurry and tube fed to her at least 3 times a day. Given all this, there isnt any guarantee she'll pull through if it's a bacterial infection.

Quote:
Dawg53, thanks but this came a little too late. She was very sick. I watched her all day and finally about an hour before your post I did her in. I just hope whatever she had the others do not get.

I took DE and dusted down the big coop and the run. I checked the other chickens too. They seem alright. So we'll see

Thanks again!

Quote:
Dawg53, thanks but this came a little too late. She was very sick. I watched her all day and finally about an hour before your post I did her in. I just hope whatever she had the others do not get.

I took DE and dusted down the big coop and the run. I checked the other chickens too. They seem alright. So we'll see

Thanks again!

You did what was best for her and I agree with your decision to cull. It's tough to catch a severe bacterial infection early enough and trying to treat it. By the time we notice it, they are too far gone, they are masters at hiding their illnesses to the bitter end.
The only way something like that can spread is if there were direct contact with her contaminated poop or other infected bodily fluids. I'd disinfect the areas where she pooped or expelled bodily fluids. DE wont do anything. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom