Barred rock x Americana

I don’t know what you mean by “good mix”. What traits are you looking for?

Where are you getting your “Americana”? With that spelling they are probably Easter Eggers already and not true Ameraucana. What does the rooster look like? Is it one of the accepted color/patterns for Ameraucana? If so, which one?

If it is a true Ameraucana and you can give me color/pattern I may be able to help you, maybe even get pretty specific. If it is an Easter Egger already my answer will be really flaky. I can’t get definite at all.

With some of the color/pattern Ameraucana roosters you will get a black sex link over a barred rock hen. With some EE’s you’ll get a black sex link chick over a barred rock, but not with all Ameraucana or EE roosters.

With a true Ameraucana rooster over a barred rock hen you will get green egg layers. That shade can really vary though, you might get something really close to blue or something really dark like an olive. Odds are it will be somewhere in between.

With an EE rooster there is no telling what you will get as far as egg color. You might get blue/green eggs, you might get brown eggs.

Hopefully I'll be getting one of these guys.

These are my ladies.

If you are getting Ameraucanas from a breeder that spells the breed "Americanas" you are getting ripped off.

There is no such thing as Americanas. The chickens are either Ameraucanas or Easter eggers, there is no in between.

Do you mind telling us how much you are paying for the rooster?

Last edited:
Putting a black Ameraucana rooster over your barred Rock hens will give you sex linked offspring. The males will have a white spot on their heads when they hatch, and will be barred like momma when they feather out. The pullets will have solid dark heads at hatch, and probably be solid black as adults. they'll probably have the beard and muffs, and the pullets will lay eggs in shades of green, not necessarily olive.

If you get a blue rooster, all of the above applies except you'll get black and blue babies.

Putting either color rooster over your Wyandotte ladies will give you mostly black birds with some gold flecking/highlights. The pullets will also lay green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom