Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

not yet!! but i plan on it. i really dont want to order chicks from the mainland if i can help it. maybe eventually when we want to get some really nice birds. right now im in it for the eggs, and the fun. i love the birds. i do have a partly wild game mix bird who has hatched out her own clutch in the woods then moved in with my BRs. we have only 1 chick left.
sad.png
we moved and the cats got to them before i could. but i was hoping maybe if she goes broody again i can give her some of my BRs eggs?? of course this is all not for a few months. but i am wanting to learn before the time comes! any help is much appreciated!! i have read that the BR hens hardly ever go broody??

thanks again
smile.png

Kathy, those birds are just gorgeous. I may have to break down and contact him for some eggs.

Ive shipped eggs from Florida to Alaska twice, and got great hatches. I wouldnt be afraid to order eggs from the Mainland.

Wanted Partridgge Rock Large Fowl:

Got a phone call from a fellow who has Partridge Plymouth Rock Large Fowl. He wanted to ask me if I knew anyone who has got chicks from Joel Gilman in the Partridge Plymouth Rock Color Pattern. Do you know this person or do you have any of his birds or the old Tommy Stanly line. If so please post pictures of the birds or send me a personel message who we can contatct. This is a very rare color pattern and maybe only five people have this color pattern that I know of.

If you have Partridge Rocks please post a message. bob

I about had a heart attack today. I could not find these guys. They have been wandering further and further. Mind you, NONE of my other chickens have ever done this straying so far away ..... Anyway, I searched for at least 45 minutes. We have timber around us, and a lake-pond behind us (at least an acre away). There are 2 acres between us and a neighbor with a pen of hunting dogs. After searching, and near tears, I found these hoodlums over next to the pen of dogs, just taking a dust bath in the leaves.
ep.gif
I about died. You can see in the back of the third picture how the timber is. I am scratched and scraped all over my arms and legs.
th.gif
That's it, no more free ranging for awhile. Ya know what else I have noticed..... they hardly eat much feed at all. I swear they forage most of their diet. Is that weird, especially this time of year?
hu.gif

31282_dscf2679.jpg

31282_2010_100151.jpg

31282_dscf2700.jpg

31282_dscf27051.jpg

31282_dscf2713.jpg

Wow, Kathy, I'm glad you found them! I can only imagine what you must have gone through searching for them..........our wooded areas here are full of multi floral rose, wild blackberries, poison ivy and all sorts of scratchy, tangley stuff. I was panicked when I couldn't find my Javas one afternoon this August while they were doing a "test free range". I had walked past them twice and not noticed they were up underneath an evergreen about 150 feet from their yard. That was the end of that.....they are in a large fenced area but don't get to go out unless I am ONLY watching them and not trying to do anything else. Maybe you need electronic devices to keep tabs on them!
lol.png

Great pics!!

Last edited:
What elegant pictures. There is a male in the last picture that I remember his comb his head is near perfect five point style comb. He is just a great barred rock male. One of the items we where talking about on another thread about production vs Standard is their ability to take care of them selves if let loose. Some strains are not good at getting out and ruffing it as they are breed for egg production and cage envirement. Dont think that all those brown egg chckens that you get eggs from in the strore are like these. They live in cages and do only two things eat and lay eggs. After that they go into the super market for us to eat.

What a great find and when people ask me where I can get Barred Rock Large Fowl and ask can they take care of them selves out of the pen I can send them to this message page.

I wish we can find more lost strains like this in the next few months. Bob

Last edited:
I am telling ya, these guys just amaze me! I was worried about them not eating as much feed. I wondered if I needed to buy a different brand or something. I worry too much I suppose. They just love to forage, and I image if they were hungry enough they would eat more feed. All I can say is, I LOVE these birds!

So the BR's went MIA .....glad they came home. You just need a few more to graze in the trees . My fall is turning into winter and the birds aren't liking it one bit. They keep hunting around looking for the last of the green grass which gets harder to find each day.

Back
Top Bottom