Barred Rooster or Hen?

jreese

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014

I am new to this, so some help would be most appreciated... I did some trading for 8 juvenile Barred Rocks that the owner did not know what sex they were. I cannot tell so I am posting this asking for HELP!

Last edited:
The one in the second pic does look like roo. Just a guess, but reminds me of ours. We have Rocks. 5 hens, 3 roos.

The tail feathers and the neck and chest feathers differ between sexes. But not easy to tell when they're young.

Jake at about 19 weeks

Combs and wattles tell some, but not until they mature a bit.

Beethoven at about 11 weeks

Beethoven at about 8 weeks

Good luck to ya!

Yeah, you ended up with all cockerels and anyone who raises Barred Rocks would have known what they were giving you, unfortunately.

I agree, I doubt this was an honest mistake. That person knew exactly what s/he was doing, s/he knew these were all roos. Barred Rocks can be accurately sexed by color once they feather in. Basically lighter overall coloring = roo, darker = pullet. Here's a pic of three young Barred Rocks, a roo and 2 pullets, post #4: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/862568/rooster-or-hen-at-6-7-weeks Plus, just by the combs alone, anyone who has raised straight run chicks a few times would know that these were all males.

I hope you can find some Barred Rock pullets to replace these. At least you know now that these are all males rather than finding out later after putting a bunch of time and feed into them.

Back
Top Bottom